Posted by Will Brinson
Got a link for the Hot Routes? Hit us up on Twitter (@CBSSportsNFL) .
- Todd Collins is starting and Caleb Hanie is the backup for the Bears on Sunday, but they also have a super-secret "emergency" plan, and will list someone as a third quarterback in the event that both those guys are sucked into the concussion vacuum that is the Bears' offensive line. "I'll just say without going into that and giving away too much more about our game plan, we have a guy in mind, maybe a couple of guys in mind, if we get down to No. 3," Lovie Smith said. So who is it, you wonder? Apparently either Devin Hester or Matt Forte, which is actually way scarier than Collins or Hanie -- either/or would play the wildcat the entire game
- Could Aaron Hernandez lead the Pats in the receiving the rest of the way? Sure -- Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston notes that only 36 percent of the Patriots snaps this season have been in "pure three- or four-receiver packages," whereas they ran nearly 56 percent in those sets last year. In other words, the team was moving towards utilizing their young tight ends even before trading Moss.
- Steve Smith is likely to miss the game against the Bears Sunday, and Darin Gantt writes in the Charlotte Observer that the young Carolina Panthers receivers need to "grow up quickly." And you know what guys? DWAYNE JARRETT ISN'T STUMBLING THROUGH THAT DOOR.
- Ever think you'd hear the phrase "Peyton Hills' team"? Yeah, me either. But that's what the Browns are now, according to Mary Kay Cabot.
- Ryan Torain sure seems like a better rushing option than Clinton Portis at this point in time, but Jason Reid makes a good point -- the Packers are going to bring the blitz early and often, and when it comes to blocking, well, Torain ain't Portis quite yet.
- What one word would you use to describe Danny Amendola? (Note: please don't say "Welker.") Because the rest of the Rams would say stuff like "fiesty," "electric," "quick," "tenacious," and "energetic." David Eckstein is a huge fan, duh.
- Yeah, so Brian Westbrook is just hanging out in San Fran, waiting on that chance to get on the field for the championship contending 49ers. Good Lord what an awkward situation -- I'd get on the bus with the Eagles.
- Ben Roethlisberger looked "sharp" according to reports from practice. I've been a critic, but you gotta admit, his behavior/actions have been pretty impressive. If the Steelers come out and dominate, it's a good story.
- It's 2010 and athletes announce stuff on Twitter, so it should be no surprise that Chad Hall dropped his promotion off the Eagles practice squad vis-a-vis social media.
- You like playing paper football? Of course you do. And now you can do it on your desktop -- via my NCSU Twitter friend Owen Good at Kotaku, you can officially kiss your Friday productivity goodbye.