Posted by Josh Katzowitz
- As CBSSports.com’s Mike Freeman reports, the owners and players are negotiating again today. They’re just not doing it in person.
- Jets WR Brad Smith, who’s been working out with Mark Sanchez at player-led workouts, thinks it’s a bit awkward for him to be with potential former teammates. That’s because Smith is a free agent and doesn’t know if he’ll be back in New York next season.
- CBSSports.com’s own Andy Benoit, writing for the NY Times, ranks his top-10 safeties in the NFL. Unlike Pete Prisco, Benoit doesn’t think Troy Polamalu is overrated at all.
- Larry Izzo -- who played 14 years for the Dolphins, Patriots and Jets -- will join the Giants as a special teams assistant coach. And it makes sense, because, at one point, Izzo had the most all-time special teams tackles among current players.
- Looks like we have another locked-out football player who’s taking up boxing to stay in shape. That would be Chargers RB Mike Tolbert, who says boxing is the roughest workout he’s ever had.
- The Jets will not be traveling to Cortland, N.Y., this season for their regularly-scheduled training camp. Instead, because the lockout hasn’t been lifted, they’ll prepare themselves at their regular home in Florham Park, N.J. The Jets plan to return to Cortland in 2012.
- In a heartwarming tale, 136 members of the Chiefs organization traveled to Joplin, Mo., to help clean up the town that was decimated by tornados.
- The New Orleans Times Picayune believes that the Saints won’t offer a contract extension to QB Drew Brees until Colts QB Peyton Manning gets his new deal.
- Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan don’t think former Giants RB Tiki Barber should attempt a comeback. In the case of Strahan, there are clearly still some hurt feelings for the way Barber criticized the Giants after he retired and became a network analyst.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.