|Brett Lorenzo Favre: still retired. (US PRESSWIRE)|
By Ryan Wilson
Perhaps there will come a time when an injury to an NFL starting quarterback won't reflexively lead to media inquiries about whether Brett Favre would be interested in the job. Sadly, we are not yet at that point. Never mind that Favre is 42 years old and has stated on several occasions going back to this summer that he ain't coming back.
(UPDATE: Favre released a statement Tuesday night. "In spite of reports about playing with various teams, I'm enjoying retirement with my family and have no plans to play football," he said.)
Of course, Favre brought this on himself with the annual "I'm not really retiring" press conferences. And now it's his burden to bear for the rest of his days. It also explains why he's been linked to the Dolphins, Texans and most recently the Bears.
On Monday, a report surfaced that Favre would listen if Chicago called. On Tuesday, a source told ESPN that the Bears have no interest in Favre despite losing Jay Cutler to a broken thumb and subsequently going 0-2 with backup Caleb Hanie.
"That's our group," head coach Lovie Smith said Monday of Hanie, Josh McCown and Nathan Enderle, the three quarterbacks currently on the roster. "We're going to make improvements with our group. We're not looking on the outside. We won't have a quarterback tryout or anything like that."
Hopefully, this is the last we speak of Brett Lorenzo Favre's possible return to the NFL (although somehow we suspect it won't be).
Last week, there was speculation that Donovan McNabb could join the Bears after being released by the Vikings. That didn't happen either.
“If [the front office] feels like [McNabb] can help us win games, then that's the number,” defensive back Corey Graham said, via CSNChicago.com. “But as of right now, we actually believe in Caleb. We've seen him do a lot of great things in practice and things of that nature, so we believe in what he can do. Yeah, it's been a rough couple of games for him, but I'm pretty sure he can bounce back and I'm pretty sure he can be OK for us.”
And Devin Hester, during a Monday radio appearance, said that signing McNabb would be a "waste of time" because of the intricacies of Mike Martz's offense and with only four weeks left in the regular season.
To recap: if Chicago is going to make the playoffs it won't be because of a late-season acquisition of a veteran quarterback. It will be because Hanie played much better over the final month of the season than he did the previous two weeks.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're at it, add our RSS Feed.