|Santonio Holmes is escorted out of the Jets locker room Monday. (Getty Images)|
With everything that happened with the Jets over the past 24 hours -- missing the playoffs, fighting with the media, in-fighting and whatnot -- you wouldn't be surprised if Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum decided to blow some stuff up. But they won't.
Ryan and Tannebaum confirmed on Monday during a press conference that Santonio Holmes, the player primarily deemed responsible for locker-room issues, would return, and that much-maligned offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer would be back, barring another team (like Jacksonville) hiring him as their head coach.
"I believe Santonio will be back next year," Ryan said.
The pair were pelted with questions about Holmes and team chemistry and Ryan said they would do away with team captains altogether.
"I made a huge mistake," Ryan said. "Not just by naming Santonio a captain. With all the captains. It's not something I truly believe in."
When the Jets announced the press conference for Monday, speculation started to ramp up that the Jets could do away with Holmes altogether. However, as Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network reported, Holmes is guaranteed more than $7 million in 2012 (with another $7 million of future salary becoming fully guaranteed on the second day of the 2012 league year).
Which is to say, the Jets can't really even consider releasing Holmes. They've simply got to find a way to get him to be better in the locker room. (Tannenbaum wouldn't comment on whether Santonio was disciplined for his behavior the last week.)
As for other issues, Tannenbaum said that Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback in 2012. And Rex indicated there wouldn't be any changes on the coaching staff as of right now.
Oh and Rex's excuse for crying to his team in the locker room on Monday?
"Ah, Im Irish."
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.