Play Fantasy The Most Award Winning Fantasy game with real time scoring, top expert analysis, custom settings, and more. Play Now
 
Category:NFL
Posted on: June 16, 2010 4:21 pm
Edited on: June 16, 2010 7:05 pm
 

Bush makes first public statement

Saints RB Reggie Bush, at the center of the investigation that cost Southern California a two-year bowl ban, 30 scholarships and possibly its 2004 BCS title, said today he’s been shaken by the penalties and that he will aid in USC’s NCAA appeal.

“This thing regarding USC and the NCAA is to me the closest thing to death without dying,” Bush told reporters today. “Because I have such a great love and respect for the University of (Southern) California, this has been one of the toughest things I’ve had to deal with in my life. But at the same time whether it’s all true or all wrong or whether we’re guilty or not guilty, it’s still my responsibility and I have to accept that. I’m going to do everything I can to make it right, to make it better, and that’s really all I can do. … It’s almost like shaming your dad in a sense.”

Asked what he could have done differently, Bush said that what’s in the past is in the past and that the present is what he was worried about. He did say, though, that not everything that’s come out in the investigation is completely true.

“There’s a lot of fabricated lies in this matter,” said Bush, who also said he couldn’t get into specifics. “I can’t sit here and cry about it. I can’t sit here and make up excuses. Ultimately it’s the responsibility that’s placed on USC’s shoulders and my shoulders that it’s because of me.”

He said he’s not worried about potentially losing his Heisman trophy.

Said Bush, who has not spoke with former USC coach and current Seahawks coach Pete Carroll: “I’m going to do everything I can to make this right, some way, somehow, if it’s the last thing I do.”

And here's Larry Holder's story for CBSSports.com.


--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .



Category: NFL
Posted on: June 16, 2010 3:59 pm
 

Andrews says Favre should be good to go

We might be getting closer to figuring out if QB Brett Favre will return for his 20th season. Famed surgeon Dr. James Andrews told the Associated Press on Wednesday that Favre’s ankle surgery went well, and after a few weeks of rehabilitation, he should be ready to decide if he’ll make his retirement permanent.

Even at the age of 40, Favre had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Despite the last-minute interception that doomed the Vikings in the playoffs – a less-than-uplifting end to his career if he, in fact, chooses that option – the 11-time Pro Bowler recorded a career-high 68.4 completion percentage for 4,202 yards, 33 touchdowns and seven INTs.

At this point, the smart money says Favre, with a healed ankle, will return once again.

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .

Category: NFL
Posted on: June 16, 2010 3:16 pm
 

Ryan, Revis: friends again

Jets coach Rex Ryan and his unhappy star CB Darrelle Revis have made up with each other. Now, they're back to being friends.

But what about training camp? Will Revis, who so badly wants a new contract, be there? Well, that’s another story.

The NY Daily News’ Manish Mehta has the breakdown of Tuesday’s hour-long meeting between Ryan and Revis, who will make $1 million this season but as one of the league’s top-two corners probably deserves more money.

“It was a great conversation,” Revis said after today’s final minicamp practice. “We just wanted to see eye to eye and get on the same page. We got a little off the page. I skipped a couple chapters in the book. We talked and got back on the same page to understand each other in this whole situation.”

And about training camp: Revis said if he’s there, he’ll be 100 percent committed to being there. If he’s not, than he guesses he won’t. Right now, he's not sure if he'll be in attendance.

Either way, it makes sense that New York eventually will grant Revis’ request. There aren’t many talents like him out there.

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .


Category: NFL
Posted on: June 16, 2010 2:55 pm
Edited on: June 16, 2010 3:21 pm
 

Hixon done for season

It turns out the injury to Giants WR Domenik Hixon’s right knee will keep him out all of next season.

Hixon’s cleat stuck in the turf during practice at New Meadowlands Stadium on Tuesday, and though the initial indication was that he had hyperextended his right knee, that diagnosis was changed today to a torn ACL.

Hixon, the team's top kick returner, should have surgery in the next few weeks.

UPDATE (3:19 p.m.): Here's the NY Daily News story on Hixon

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .


Category: NFL
Posted on: June 16, 2010 2:21 pm
 

Don't expect Jackson, McNeill to return soon

Despite giving WR Vincent Jackson and OT Marcus McNeill an extra 24 hours to sign their restricted free agent tender offers, the Chargers now expect to play much of the 2010 NFL season without two of their stars, the San Diego Union-Tribune’s Kevin Acee writes.

“We lost a couple of great players today, and it hurts,” GM A.J. Smith told the paper. “We are trying to build a championship team, and losing the services of both Vincent and Marcus just made that more difficult – but not impossible. In due time, Coach (Norv) Turner will name two new starters. We will rally as a team, compete and try to win as many games as we can.”

It won’t be easy to replace the production of Jackson and McNeill. Jackson is coming off a 68-catch, nine-touchdown season, and every year he’s been in the NFL, his production has improved. McNeill, meanwhile, is a two-time Pro Bowler and will be sorely missed on the offensive line, protecting QB Philip Rivers’ blindside.

Acee expects both players to forgo signing what would be a hugely-reduced contract and then return to the team in mid-November to play the final six games – which would count to their service time as an accrued season. Acee explains how much money Jackson and McNeill will give up:

McNeill will lose $2.568 million as his tender is dropped to $600,000. Should he not report until after the Chargers’ 10th game, which numerous sources have said he will and the Chargers are expecting, he will make $212,000.

Jackson will have his tender dropped from $3.268 million to $583,000 (a $2.685 million reduction). He would make $206,000 if he doesn’t report until six games are left, though it remains unclear how an expected suspension of two to four games for his past DUIs will affect him.


Without them, expect newly-signed WR Josh Reed and OT Tra Thomas to take their places in the lineup.


--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .

Posted on: June 16, 2010 1:39 pm
 

Teammates call Haynesworth 'selfish'

Not surprisingly, Albert Haynesworth’s teammates aren’t particularly pleased that the $100 million man won’t be at training camp and that he's declared that he wants a trade.

“He decided to take our check and we’re very disappointed he wasn’t here today,” coach Mike Shanahan told reporters.

LB London Fletcher called his teammate “selfish,” and unlike the Patriots who declined to address the Logan Mankins contract dispute Tuesday, the Redskins on Wednesday didn’t have a problem teeing off on Haynesworth – who signed his $100 million contract, which included a $41 million guarantee, last season.

“What he's decided to do is make a decision based all about him,” Fletcher told reporters. “It's no different than his attitude and his approach to last year's defense, about wanting everything to revolve around him and him making plays. And if it didn't benefit him, he wasn't really willing to do it."

Said C Casey Rabach: “It doesn’t sit well with the players.”

In an interesting development, Shanahan told Haynesworth in February that he was free to find another place to work if that’s what he wanted and if he was willing to forget about the $21 million bonus he was due .

The Redskins also have continued to claim they haven’t been trying to trade Haynesworth.

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .


Posted on: June 16, 2010 10:40 am
Edited on: June 16, 2010 2:43 pm
 

The continuing saga of Tramon Williams

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Greg A. Bedard has an interesting take today on the Packers duel with CB Tramon Williams. Though it’s unclear if the Packers reduced their tender offer to the restricted free agent after he didn’t sign ahead of Tuesday’s deadline, what is known is that the Packers are in a tough spot here.

As Bedard points out in this story , Green Bay doesn’t want to anger its best defensive back, particularly since Al Harris is 35 and coming off knee surgery and since the rest of the Packers DBs are unknown quantities. Yet, Williams also stands to lose millions of dollars in compensation if Green Bay actually decided to reduce that offer to 110 percent of his 2009 salary.

Bedard has an interesting theory why Williams, entering his fourth season in the league, is willing to play salary chicken. It’s because the Packers gave RB Ryan Grant a four-year, $20 million contract in 2008. As Bedard writes:

Up until that point, the Packers had been decidedly disciplined in how and when and to whom they gave contract extensions to. It was a big reason why they got in good cap shape in such a hurry after Mike Sherman.

The players that got new deals had put in their time, signed their tenders and just played along with the program.

But the decision by (Russ) Ball and Ted Thompson to do that deal then with Grant eroded much of what the Packers had done previously


So when the Packers gave Grant that deal, after his first accrued season in the NFL, his first with the Packers, after 15 games played and seven regular-season starts, they set the stage for guys like Williams to want theirs.

He and they have a point.

How can the Packers give Grant his deal, yet refuse to give the same kind of deal to Williams after he did everything they asked of him for three seasons and he started more than twice as many games as Grant (20 - 10 last season)?

Can the Packers tell Williams that Grant was more valuable when he got his contract? I don’t think so.


Stay tuned. This will turn out to be an interesting result.

UPDATE (2:40 p.m.): Bedard reports Williams signed his $3.1 million tender offer before Tuesday's deadline. Strange that the Packers didn't, you know, immediately tell the NFL about this bit of news.


--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .


Category: NFL
Posted on: June 16, 2010 10:12 am
 

Sanchez looking to bounce back

If it wasn’t his knee, it was his accuracy. On Tuesday, both combined to force Jets QB Mark Sanchez into an unimpressive performance during New York’s mini-camp workouts.

According to ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini , Sanchez was 7 of 17 during 11-on-11 drills and threw high to his receiver targets throughout the Tuesday morning practice.

In the afternoon, Sanchez, coming off knee surgery, participated only in 7-on-7 drills.

He’ll have a chance for redemption during the final practice of mini-camp today.


--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl .

Category: NFL
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com