Tag:San Diego Chargers
Posted on: August 22, 2011 10:26 am
  •  
 

Chargers won't move if new stadium isn't in works

Farmers FieldPosted by Josh Katzowitz

It seems relatively clear that if a new team winds up in Los Angeles to play at the new downtown complex that will include Farmers Field, it very well could be the San Diego Chargers.

When I talked to legendary San Diego Union-Tribune scribe Jerry Magee recently, he said the city was worried, and aside from perhaps the Vikings, the Chargers returning home to their original city (the Chargers were established in L.A. in 1960) seemed like a pretty good bet.

But according to ESPN.com, the move not be that easy -- or that close to actually happening. Chargers special council Mark Fabiani said the team would not consider a move to a temporary spot in a new city if that city also wasn’t in the process of building a permanent new stadium. He’s not sure Farmers Field qualifies.

"I think the downtown L.A. project is years away," Fabiani told ESPN.com. "I think it would be a miracle like the loaves and the fishes if they could [break ground next year]."

New Stadium in L.A.?
AEG president Tim Leiweke has previously said he would like to break ground on the new stadium by next June and open it by September 2016. Meanwhile the city of San Diego is trying to build a new Chargers home of its own, a retractable stadium downtown.

The problem(s) with that scenario: how to finance the project in San Diego, and could the city’s voters get behind a new project that likely would keep the Chargers in town? That obviously is not an issue with AEG and L.A., which has plenty of money and support (if not from football fans in L.A., it’s got tons of it from the league office). And Fabiani is not clueless about the potential fallout of that equation. If a new stadium isn’t built, Fabiani knows there might not be much hope of keeping the Chargers in San Diego.

"I think if we didn't make the ballot in 2012 we would have to seriously look at our other options," he said. "I don't think there's any way to avoid saying that to people."

Which ultimately shouldn’t make the people of San Diego feel any better. Because even if the Chargers aren’t in danger of leaving San Diego within the next year, that doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen eventually.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 13, 2011 2:07 pm
 

Report: Giants offer Osi incentive-laden deal

Posted by Will Brinson

Osi Umenyiora should be back on the practice field with the Giants come Monday. But the soap opera between he and the team isn't quite over yet.

There are still contract discussions to handle but it appears, as our own Clark Judge suggested recently, that the Giants are going to wise up get him some cash for finally coming in.

Unfortunately for Osi, though, it doesn't appear that they're willing to give as much as Clark suggested. Per Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network, the Giants offered Osi a new incentive-laden deal on Friday that features "a range of $400,000 to $1 million in new money" dependent on production and incentives.

LaCanfora does note that Osi still prefers to be traded and has yet to accept any offers from the Giants. According to the report, Osi would need to finish in the top 10 of several defensive categories and time spent on the field.

Clearly, the requirements for those incentive clauses are going to primarily dictate whether or not Osi accepts the contract.

If he has to finish in the top 10 for sacks and forced fumbles while playing 10 games to unlock $1 million (and there aren't any poison-pill clauses in the deal), he might take it. Or at least consider taking it.

But unless it's good, don't be shocked if he passes and keeps pushing for a deal somewhere or a new, long-term deal. After all, there still plenty of teams that might be interested in Osi if the Giants actually drop their asking price. Meaning: the drama might not be over just quite yet.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 12, 2011 4:16 pm
Edited on: August 12, 2011 6:19 pm
 

AFC West Podcast Preview

Posted by Will Brinson

The podcast tour makes a stop in the AFC West today, where Ryan and I wonder if the Chargers can regain their rightful spot as the best team in the division.

Oh yes, we also talk about the division champion Chiefs and their ability to overcome the loss of Charlie Weis, who left the team for Florida. We debate the upgrades they made and whether or not they have a shot at repeating. We also talk -- surprise, surprise! -- about Tim Tebow, Kyle Orton and the Broncos.

Oh yes -- life in Oakland after Nnamdi Asomugha! Per usual, we rank the quarterbacks, make our predictions for the division finish and guess the over/unders on games won for each team.

All that -- and much, much, more -- by clicking the play button below. Also, SUBSCRIBE VIA ITUNES.



If you can't view the podcast, click here to download.



For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.


Posted on: August 11, 2011 9:41 pm
 

Russell Okung leaves on cart, X-rays negative

Posted by Ryan Wilson

Not much went right for the Seahawks' first-teamers in their Week 1 preseason game against the Chargers. From Tarvaris Jackson's debut as the Seattle starter (he left after going 3 for 5 for 13 yards), to the defense watching San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers go 5 for 6 for 87 yards and a touchdown on his first drive, to the familiar-but-no-less-troubling sight of left tackle Russell Okung going down with an ankle injury.

The Seahawks' 2010 first-round pick and the man tasked with filling the huge void (both literally and figuratively -- both mostly literally) left by Walter Jones, suffered the injury in the first quarter. He was engaged in a block at the time but the ankle was untouched. Although Okung left the field on a cart, there is some good news:

The NFL Network's Jason La Canfora tweets that: "X-Rays negative on SEA LT Russell Okung, who left game with what appeared to be an ankle injury. Hope his injury luck turns this season."

As Rotoworld notes, "The ankle isn't broken but … the Seahawks can't afford to suffer through another injury-plagued season from Okung, a difference maker for their offense. They've got enough problems at quarterback already."

For real.

Okung missed six games last season as he battled high ankle sprains.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 11, 2011 7:29 pm
 

2011 NFL Preseason Live Chat, Week 1



Posted by Ryan Wilson

Hey, hey, hey, the NFL is back. Sure, it's only preseason but let's be honest, a month ago we'd take anything and, well, we got it. There are five games on the slate -- Seahawks-Chargers, Jags-Pats, Ravens-Eagles, Broncos-Cowboys, and Cards-Raiders -- and we'll be keeping an eye on all of them.  

Feel free to stop by and let us know which games you're watching because tonight we're all fans of the same thing: the return of football.



For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 9, 2011 4:34 pm
Edited on: August 9, 2011 8:50 pm
 

Ryan Mathews to miss first SD preseason game

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

I’m pretty sure it’s too early to call Chargers RB Ryan Mathews a bust. Despite the fact he was a first-round pick in 2010, he didn’t have a great rookie season (though I wouldn’t exactly call it disastrous, either).

MathewsHe only managed 158 carries for 678 yards -- he missed five games because of a high ankle sprain -- but when he was playing, Mathews looked solid (albeit, he left open the door for Mike Tolbert to impress some people).

This season hasn’t gone well so far either.

Mathews has been hobbled by a slightly strained muscle in his upper thigh, and the San Diego Union Tribune writes that Mathews will miss Thursday’s preseason opener after having not participated in four practices this training camp.

"In the early preseason games, we always err on the side of caution," Norv Turner said.

Turner also expressed confidence that Mathews will be fine. But still, it makes you wonder about Mathews’ durability.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 5, 2011 3:53 pm
Edited on: August 5, 2011 4:01 pm
 

Chargers reach agreement with WR Malcom Floyd

Posted by Ryan Wilson

The Ravens, with a huge need for a big-play wide receiver to line up opposite Anquan Boldin, had an offer on the table for Malcom Floyd*. On Friday, Floyd, who spent the previous seven seasons in San Diego mostly as a backup, re-signed with the Chargers.

Chargers.com reports that the team reached an agreement with Floyd on a two-year deal.

“We have a lot of happy Chargers today with the return of Malcom,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “He has been an integral part of our team and it’s great to have him back. He is a very talented receiver and that will just add to the continuity of our offensive unit.”

In 2010, Floyd caught 37 passes for 717 yards (19.4 ypc) and 6 TDs. The season before, he hauled in 45 passes for 776 yards (17.2 ypc) and 1 TD. At 6-5, Floyd is an obvious red-zone target, but he's also capable of stretching the field as evidenced by his DeSean Jacksonian yards-per-catch average. He'll rejoin another 6-5 pass-catcher, Vincent Jackson, as well as Patrick Crayton, Kelley Washington, Laurent Robinson and highly touted rookie Vincent Brown as potential options for QB Philip Rivers.

Floyd will likely be the second or third WR in a Chargers' offense that features tight end Antonio Gates and one of the NFL's best quarterbacks.

At the other end of the spectrum are the Ravens, who have been trying desperately to find legit pass-catching options for young QB Joe Flacco. As it stands, Baltimore has Boldin, rookie Torrey Smith and, well, not much else. Thirty-seven-year-old Derrick Mason could return (despite his age, he has been productive for the Ravens), and perhaps the organization will make a run at recently released Jets wideout Jerricho Cotchery.

We have yet to play a preseason game but Ravens fans are already questioning if Flacco can lead the team to a Super Bowl. We're not absolving Flacco of blame in Baltimore's recent playoff losses, but it would certainly be a lot easier for him if he had someone to throw the ball to.

* UPDATE: According to Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens had trouble clearing enough cap room for Floyd.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 4, 2011 1:14 pm
 

Plaxico injures ankle; Mason in, Cotchery out?

Posted by Will Brinson

The Jets wide receiver corps is in serious flux as the head into 2011. With the exception of Santonio Holmes -- who also signed a five-year deal worth $50 million in the offseason, if you want to count that -- it's entirely likely that the group catching balls from Mark Sanchez will look entirely different.

For starters, there's the presence of Plaxico Burress who, by the by, is dealing with an injured ankle after "tweaking" it on Wednesday while "running around, trying to stay sharp." And it's not even the same ankle injury he's deal with in the past. So that should be concerning, right?

Well, coach Rex Ryan said, per our Jets Rapid Reporter Lisa Zimmerman, it's "nothing serious."

And, according to Burress, if this were a game week, he'd be able to practice and/or play.

In other news, the Jets appear on the verge of signing former Ravens wideout (and therefore "teammate" of Ryan's) Derrick Mason, who was cut by Baltimore during their Borders-like employee cuts last week.

To make room for Mason, it looks like Jerricho Cotchery will get the axe.

"If [Mason] passes the physical, he's on the team and I won't be," Cotchery said, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "It's time to move on."

So that means in a very short time, the Jets will have gone from Santonio Holmes/Braylon Edwards/Jerricho Cotchery/Brad Smith to Santonio Holmes/Plaxico Burress/Derrick Mason in terms of their wide-receiver depth chart.

If that happens, is that an upgrade?

No, I'm pretty sure it's not. In fact, there's a pretty good chance that it's a huge downgrade.

Cotchery was praised last year for his toughness, despite playing the slot and not getting any of the love that Edwards/Holmes did. And while Santonio might be one of the most explosive playmakers in the NFL, he's going to see a lot more coverage coming his way if the only two options on the field are both 30-plus, with one of them just a few months removed from a lengthy absence from football.

All that being said, you can't fault the Jets for some of the moves -- the Santonio signing is justified as long as he doesn't get suspended, Edwards is a troublemaker and not worth the money they might give him, and there's no way they could have paid Brad Smith what the Bills gave and justified it.

But giving Burress $3 million guaranteed and dumping a locker room leader and consistent on-field presence like Cotchery? That reeks of a mistake, even if Cotchery's dealing with offseason back surgery.

Fortunately for the wideout, he's probably got options. As I noted on Twitter, both the Panthers and Chargers stand out as great options for Cotchery. The Panthers could use veteran wide receiver help to draw coverage away from Steve Smith and mentor David Gettis and Brandon LaFell.

Cotchery was Philip Rivers' No.-1 target in college and the Chargers are currently looking for someone to line up opposite Vincent Jackson.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com