Tag:New Orleans Saints
Posted on: July 12, 2011 2:10 pm
Edited on: July 12, 2011 2:11 pm
 

Reggie Bush talks about future with Saints

Posted by Ryan Wilson

We last heard from Reggie Bush in June, when he was refuting a Yahoo report that the Saints had given him permission to seek a trade in February.

On Tuesday, Bush spoke to ESPN's Colleen Dominguez about his future with in New Orleans. "I want to be with the Saints. I know that the coaches, the owner, the GM, have all expressed how much they want me back," he said. "And hopefully we can all find a happy medium. My No. 1 priority is to remain a New Orleans Saint."

Dominguez asked Bush about his draft-night tweet ("It's been fun New Orleans") regarding the Saints trading up in the first round to take running back Mark Ingram.

"I wish I hadn't tweeted it," Bush said. "But for me, what I was thinking was that, I still have this big question mark over my head, I'm still due a lot of money, I'm not sure if I'm gonna be back or not. … To me, it looked as if the team was moving on without me."

When Bush was asked about struggling with injuries for most of his five-year NFL career, he said that "I would attribute a lot of it to turf. There's a difference between playing on grass and FieldTurf. … Another part of it is being unfortunate."

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Jeff Duncan (via PFT), of Bush's six injuries, three were on grass, and three were on turf (and one was at the Superdome).

Bush also said that he's a better person now for the things that happened in the past, specifically at USC.  "You live and you learn and you try to move on. … All the stuff that happens with USC, it kills me."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 8, 2011 10:14 am
Edited on: July 8, 2011 10:37 am
 

Anthony Hargrove still hurt by brother's death

A. Hargrove is still affected by the death of his brother (Getty).Posted by Josh Katzowitz

A few weeks ago, we told you that the brother of Saints DL Anthony Hargrove had been stabbed and then later died at a Sarasota, Fla., hospital. Terrence Hargrove, who was 29, had been helping manage his brother’s affairs at the time of his death.

On Thursday, the New Orleans Times Picayune caught up with Anthony Hargrove, who said his older brother was the person who convinced him to play football and was the one who persuaded him to enter rehab when his life was in trouble.

"We spilled blood, sweat and tears together," Hargrove told the paper. "I still have days where I sit in the shower and just cry."

If you read into his history, you can see why Hargrove was so close to his brother. As the paper points out, he and his siblings were homeless by the time Hargrove was 6, and at age 9, their mother died from AIDS complications. He’s twice been suspended by the league because of substance abuse issues.

Now, he’s lost his brother.

"You're standing there trying to be strong for everybody, but your brother's gone," Hargrove said. "It was hard. I still hear his voice. I still see his smile … My faith is carrying me through this. Sometimes life isn't fair. You can't act out in anger or frustration. Just because you don't like what happened is not a reason to go backwards."

For now, it’s unclear how or why Terrence died. The results of an autopsy to determine whether he was murdered or committed suicide have not been released. But investigators have labeled it a “suspicious death.”

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 5, 2011 12:02 pm
 

Mark Ingram starts foundation to help children

Posted by Ryan Wilson

In April, the Saints selected running back Mark Ingram in the first round. Roughly two-and-a-half years before, Ingram's father, Mark Sr., who played 10 NFL seasons in '80s and '90s, was sentenced to seven years in prison for money laundering and fraud. (He ended up with two more years on his sentence after he failed to surrender in December 2008 and attempted to see his son play in the 2009 Sugar Bowl.)

And now his son has launched the Mark Ingram Foundation to help children who have parents in jail.

“The foundation is something that’s real important to me,” Ingram said, according to WWLTV.com. “It’s something I’m living, something I’m going through, something my sisters and I have experienced off and on throughout our lives. … It had its difficulties and its rough times,” he said. “But that’s why I’m here. I want to make the transition easier for the youth that had the same circumstances I had.”

It's an admirable undertaking for anyone, much less a 21-year-old. But Ingram wants kids to know that they can overcome their circumstances.

“There are so many negative statistics that come along with children or youth (who) have a parent or two parents that are incarcerated,” he said. “Just for me to get this foundation going, it’s real important to me. It’s something I want to be involved with the children all the time because it’s something I’m going through. ...I just want to let them know that although you have a parent who is gone or he or she is incarcerated, you can still be whatever you want to be, do whatever you want to do. You just have to put your mind to it.”

One of the most memorable moments from the April draft involved ESPN's Suzy Kolber reading Ingram an email from his father, just after the Saints selected him:



Kolber was criticized for it; CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco wondered if it was an ambush, and SI.com's Jeff Pearlman called it "it’s dishonest, dishonorable and wrong."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow
@cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Category: NFL
Posted on: June 27, 2011 5:58 pm
Edited on: June 27, 2011 6:09 pm
 

Hot Routes 6.27.11: Dominique Foxworth does MMQB

Posted by Will Brinson



Got a link for the Hot Routes? Hit us up on Twitter (@CBSSportsNFL).
  • Dominique Foxworth of the Ravens guest-penned Peter King's "Monday Morning Quarterback" column on, um, Monday and I gotta tell you, it was awesome. The general premise of the piece is about the lockout, and it's important to remember that even though we think there's a deal getting done, no one knows. Foxworth, in particular, has a great point-of-view, because he missed all of last season with an injury, and is really itching to get out on the field. Also, he dropped the funniest line of the year with "I think cell phones have ruined pushing people into pools." Preach on, brother.
Posted on: June 24, 2011 11:39 am
Edited on: June 24, 2011 2:57 pm
 

Brother of Anthony Hargrove killed

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

The older brother of Saints DL Anthony Hargrove was stabbed early Thursday morning in Sarasota, Fla., and later died in a hospital emergency room.

Terrence Hargrove was 29 years old.

Capt. Robert Estrada told the Sarasota Herald Tribune that a medical examiner would perform an autopsy on the body to determine the cause and manner of death.

Police said they have interviewed a person of interest, but no arrests have been made.

Terrence Hargrove was working with his brother and helping manage Anthony’s affairs.

"We have an apartment,” Anthony Hargrove said in 2007. “We sit down and we talk. He's only one year older. He's the guy I go to for everything. ... He takes care of all the daily stuff, booking plane tickets, keeping food in the house, doing laundry. He does all that. He takes a lot of the burden off my back so I can just focus on football."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.


Posted on: June 17, 2011 6:54 pm
Edited on: June 17, 2011 7:02 pm
 

Bush says he had no permission to seek trade

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

Earlier today, we told you about a report from Yahoo! Sports that said the Saints gave RB Reggie Bush permission to seek a trade two months before they drafted Mark Ingram in the first round of the draft.

According to Bush, the story is not true.

Contacted by WWL.com out of New Orleans, Bush said the Saints did NOT give him permission to find another team that might want him.

From the story:

I texted Bush a message which read, "Yahoo sports is reporting that the saints gave u permission back in February to gauge interest of other teams for u.  Is that accurate?"  Bush responded, "Lol! Absolutely not!"

Just to be absolutely certain, I again texted, "just so I have this right u were never given permission to gauge interest of other teams? Right?"  Bush replied, "For the second time no."

WWL then contacted Jason Cole, the writer of the Yahoo! Sports piece (and a well-respected reporter), and his response basically was: Hey, Bush can say whatever he wants.

But as CBSSports.com’s own Larry Holder, who covers the Saints, points out, "None of these reports of Reggie Bush surprise me. And just because Bush denied it to WWL-AM doesn't mean it's false. He denied USC stuff too.”

Bush is slated to make $11.8 million next season, and that contract almost certainly will not be paid – either Bush will take a pay cut or New Orleans will cut him loose.

With the drafting of Ingram, I’m guessing it’ll be the latter.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.

Posted on: June 17, 2011 2:52 pm
Edited on: June 17, 2011 3:21 pm
 

Report: Bush allowed to talk to teams in February

Posted by Ryan Wilson

Reggie Bush wasn't thrilled with the Saints' decision to draft running back Mark Ingram in the first round. We know this because he promptly tweeted as much. Most people figured that Ingram's arrival signaled the end of an underwhelming five years in New Orleans for Bush.

Turns out, the organization gave Bush permission to seek a trade two months before they drafted Ingram, according to a report by Yahoo.com's Jason Cole.
The New Orleans Saints gave running back Reggie Bush permission in February to talk to other teams and gauge his value as the franchise, and Bush tried to work out a restructured contract, according to three NFL sources.

Bush and agent Joel Segal were told that a number of teams would be interested in paying him handsomely, or at least more than the Saints have apparently been willing to offer at this point. That is one of the reasons that Bush has made contradictory statements about his future in New Orleans and didn’t participate in offseason workouts with Saints players. The expectation from Bush, according to the sources, is that he will be playing for another team next season.
This explains why the Saints traded back into the first round of the draft to take Ingram. The organization knew it was going to need a running back and apparently wants one who is more comfortable running between the tackles.

(By the way, we're not saying New Orleans had to get a running back early in the draft because of Bush's likely departure, but we understand the thinking. We're still of the opinion that, in general, teams overpay for NFL backs.)

The next question, of course, is which teams might be interested in Bush. According to one of Coles' sources, "Among the most likely candidates for Bush’s services … are the Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks and the New York Giants. Miami and Pittsburgh are looking to add speed on offense. Seattle is coached by Pete Carroll, Bush’s former coach at USC. The Giants’ interest would depend on whether the team is able to keep running back Ahmad Bradshaw once free agency starts."

Bush hasn't yet reached his potential as an NFL player, and it's part of the reason the Saints are willing to let him walk. That said, he would upgrade the backfield (and the passing games) of every team mentioned above. The biggest sticking point, obviously, is how much it will cost to sign him. The last time the Steelers paid (relatively) big money for a free-agent running back was in 2004 for Duce Staley. The Dolphins have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, and they can't afford to allot a huge chunk of their salary cap to Bush.

The Carroll-USC connection makes sense, too, but he's not afraid to cut his former college players (with unintentionally hilarious side-effects). And like the Dolphins, the Seahawks have bigger issues than adding another running back.

Cole notes that "over the past two seasons, Bush, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft, has become a role player. He has missed 10 games because of injury and been limited to only 106 carries and 81 receptions in the regular season. He has scored a total of nine rushing and receiving touchdowns, but remains an explosive player."

According to Football Outsiders, Bush ranked 32nd in total value among NFL running backs with fewer than 100 carries last season. We'll mention it again in case you missed it the first time: there are better ways for teams to allocate their salary-cap dollars than busting the bank on a running back. They're just not worth it.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.


Posted on: June 16, 2011 7:08 pm
Edited on: June 16, 2011 7:28 pm
 

Stanley Arnoux reclaims stolen Super Bowl ring

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

Saints LB Stanley Arnoux has been reunited with his 2009 Super Bowl ring, which was stolen from him Memorial Day weekend.

Here’s the story, via WSVN 7 News in Miami/Fort Lauderdale:

On Memorial Day, a customer walked into the Kendale Jewelry pawn shop in Southwest Miami-Dade and pawned it for $1,200 (although the ring is actually valued at $30,000). A couple days later, that customer returned to the pawn shop to check on the ring*.

Arnoux*We all should know that returning to the scene of the alleged crime is very bad form.

“I found that odd. I found that very odd,” employee Alberto Iturrey said. So, Iturrey called the police, and investigators determined that a valet manager at the swanky Fontainebleau Hotel had allegedly stolen the ring and then pawned it. (He’s been charged with grand theft and dealing stolen property.) Arnoux, it should be noted, was at a party at the Fontainebleau when somebody broke into his glove box and stole his ring and $200 in cash.

Iturrey then contacted Arnoux via his Twitter page, and Arnoux drove to the store to pick up his merchandise.

"His eyes watered when I gave him back the ring," Iturrey told the TV station. "He told me, his exact words were, "'Man, I feel like I am receiving it again for the first time.'"

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.


 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com