Tag:Aqib Talib
Posted on: February 24, 2012 12:02 am
  •  
 

Aqib Talib will get another chance with Bucs

TalibBy Josh Katzowitz

After a nasty offseason following the 2010 season -- an offseason in which he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and was indicted on that charge before blaming his mother -- the Buccaneers welcomed Aqib Talib back to the team for 2011.

Considering Talib hasn’t shown the ability to stay out of trouble during his career, it was a surprise that he wasn’t suspended for the alleged incident that occurred in Garland, Tx. It wasn’t, however, surprising that Talib played well for the Buccaneers, because, simply put, he’s a talented cornerback -- probably one of the 10-best in the league.

And most likely because of that talent, new Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has decided Talib will start with a clean slate.

"I had a great meeting with him and we just kind of talked about life for a little bit,'' Schiano said, via the Tampa Bay Times. "I know there’s been some things in the past. But at the end of the day, the legal stuff that’s going on right now, hopefully that will get resolved. He tells me it will.

"Then from there, we’re just going to go. Every guy on this football team will know our expectations. There won’t be any, ‘Well, I thoughts.’ I think most of the time, frustration comes out as the result of unfulfilled expectations, my frustration and theirs. So if you make the expectations clear, then discipline really isn’t discipline, it’s a choice. You knew if you did this, everything is cool and if you don’t, there’s going to be consequences. That, to me, is not that complicated. But you have to make sure you’re very, very clear on what it is your expectations are.”

Talib is lucky to be in this position, considering former Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris basically talked general manager Mark Dominik out of releasing Talib before last season began.

But with a new regime, Talib will get yet another chance. Of course, he still has to worry about the actual trial, which is set to begin in March. Talib told Schiano that he’s confident he’ll get a positive outcome from the trial.

For now, Schiano apparently is inclined to believe him. And inclined to believe that the risk of employing Talib will be less than the reward that could come.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.
Posted on: December 13, 2011 11:08 pm
Edited on: December 13, 2011 11:12 pm
 

Report: Bucs GM Dominik wanted to cut Aqib Talib

By Will Brinson

Raheem Morris says he isn't worried about the temperature of his seat. (US Presswire)

It's coaching hot seat season right now, and the Buccaneers Rahee Morris finds himself squarely at the top of the list of coaches rumored to be flying in the danger zone. Though Morris won 10 games in 2010, the Bucs have struggled mightily this season, limping to seven-straight losses, including a 41-14 bloodbath in Jacksonville last week.

Not helping matters is the lack discipline surrounding the team and its young players (Brian Price, as an example, was sent off during a game recently). And not helping matters, according to Jason Cole at Yahoo Sports, is the fact that Morris talked the Bucs into keeping troubled cornerback Aqib Talib during the offseason.

"After getting arrested for the gun incident, Tampa Bay management was ready to cut ties with Talib once and for all, according to a team source," Cole wrote on Tuesday night. "General manager Mark Dominik didn’t care about Talib’s supreme talent, the distractions were no longer worth the drama, the source said."

Week 14 Recap

Cole writes that Morris has become "too close to the players" in his role as a coach, and quotes a current Bucs player who believes keeping a troubled albeit talented player like Talib sends the "wrong message."

Morris, for his part, isn't sweating the hot seat. Or at least isn't sweating the hot seat more than he does every other day he's at work.

"When you're coaching, you are always on the hot seat," Morris said Tuesday, per the St. Petersburg Times. "That's the mentality of what we do. We were on the hot seat when we were 10-6 and we didn't go to the playoffs. We could still get fired. I remember I got fired when I was 9-7 and I became the head coach that same year. So you're always in the hot seat."

Morris added, via our Bucs Rapid Reporter Scott Purks, that he'll only concern himself with criticism from the guys who sign his checks.

"The only criticism I'm worried about is from [Bucs owners] and [general manager Mark Dominik]," Morris said. "[The media's criticism] doesn't matter. We're not going into [Saturday's game against Dallas] to not get fired. We're going in to win."

Unfortunately for Morris, Cole's report about Dominik wanting to cut Talib and being talked out of it by his own coach is exactly the sort of thing to be concerned about.

If Dominik and the Glazer family believe Morris is too close to the players and unable to control the guys on his roster, a seven-game (or more) losing streak is exactly the sort of thing that'll put him on the chopping block come the end of the season.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.
Posted on: October 9, 2011 12:42 pm
Edited on: October 9, 2011 11:32 pm
 

Report: NFL fines Buccaneers $250K

MorrisPosted by Josh Katzowitz

Though the league declined to punish Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib for his supposed actions during the lockout, his organization isn’t so lucky.

That’s the word from multiple reports this morning, via the St. Petersburg Times, that the NFL has fined Tampa Bay $250,000 for impermissible contact that occurred during the work stoppage.

Which sounds somewhat surprising if you believe the newspaper’s sources, who revealed the reasons Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris supposedly contacted his players.

The day after CBS’ Charley Casserly reported on The NFL Today that the Buccaneers would be fined a six-figure number, Morris admitted to speaking with Talib (who was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon for an incident that occurred in March) and tight end Kellen Winslow after his wife had a baby.

A Times source said Morris had seven phone conversations with various players during the lockout. Three of those calls took less than a minute. According to the paper, the NFL checked the team’s phone record to determine if violations had occurred.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: October 4, 2011 6:52 pm
 

If Collins is ready, will Painter start anyway?

C. Painter performed better than expected in Indianapolis' loss to Tampa Bay (US Presswire).Posted by Josh Katzowitz

If you watched the Colts put up a valiant effort in a loss to the Buccaneers on Monday, you saw Curtis Painter exceed expectations. As in he wasn’t as terrible as some of us thought he’d be. 

Could he, in fact, keep the starting quarterback position when Kerry Collins has recovered from his concussion symptoms? I think we know the answer Reggie Wayne would provide -- psst, he likes Painter -- but what about the man who’s in charge of the decisions (or is he?).

“We’re not going to make that decision today,” Colts coach Jim Caldwell said, via the Indianapolis Star. “I can tell you he did the things we asked him to do. Obviously you can see he had some bright spots, but we’ll see how things go the next day or so.”

Painter finished 13 of 30 for 281 yards and two touchdowns and a fumble, and he was much better than horrendous. But that doesn’t mean the Colts should just give him the job (though, at this point, I’m not sure what the point of playing Collins would be). And maybe for a good reason, as our friends at Pro Football Focus point out in the site’s review of Monday’s game.

Writes PFF: “In his first chance to show the world that the Colts can get by without Peyton Manning, Curtis Painter  didn’t exactly convince any of his critics that he was the answer.  Although his stat line wasn’t all that bad, thanks largely to Pierre Garcon, he overthrew five different receivers, and was fortunate to have two possible interceptions dropped by Aqib Talib and Elbert Mack.  Not surprisingly, the Bucs were able to rattle him when they blitzed, sending at least five men on 11 different occasions, with the resulting completion percentage just 20% (with one sack)."

OK, so Painter wasn’t fantastic, but aside from the fumble, he did a pretty nice job keeping his team in the game. And let’s face it: considering the expectations many of us had for him coming into the game (a stat line of 12 for 33 for 172 yards and three interceptions would not have been out of the question), the fact Painter had some good moments was a pleasant surprise.

Whether it means Painter ends up ahead of Collins on this week’s depth chart, though, remains to be seen.

In other Colts news, the devastating ankle injury suffered by defensive tackle Eric Foster will keep him in a Florida hospital the next few days while he recovers from surgery. When he’s ready to come home, owner Jim Irsay will send a private plane for him.

“The surgery went well,” Caldwell said. “From what we understand, it went as scheduled and as planned and we’re praying for a speedy recovery for him.”

And making matters even worse, the Indianapolis Star is reporting that second-round tackle Ben Ijalana damaged his ACL on Monday and might have to miss the rest of the season.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: September 26, 2011 5:45 pm
 

Whitworth backs Benson on NFLPA issue

BensonPosted by Josh Katzowitz

Though the Bengals had lost a brutally-bad 13-8 game* to the 49ers on Sunday, the scribes found time to ask running back Cedric Benson about his appeal of his three-game suspension and about the fact he’s disgusted that that NFLPA supposedly agreed to allow the league to suspend eight players for activities that occurred during the lockout.

*Not surprisingly, CBSSports.com’s Gregg Doyel was unimpressed with the performance of both teams.

Benson told reporters (via the Cincinnati Enquirer), “There were some things in the CBA that we were not made aware of, which is really no surprise. That kind of falls on the PA. You would think they’re here to support you and have your back, that’s what a union does. I guess, in my case, it’s different.”

It does seem odd that Roger Goodell would choose to suspend Benson and leave alone Kenny Britt and Aqib Talib -- even though all three are multiple-time league policy offenders. And it is very odd that the NFLPA would feel the need to sacrifice eight players in order to make nice with the league. The NFLPA, though, still denies there has been any kind of agreement.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the Bengals player representative, spoke on the matter today, and he came down on the side of his teammate.

 "The union let those eight guys down,” Whitworth said, via Rapid Reporter Paul Dehner. “I don’t feel like that was fair. To me, if I was told that was a make or break, I would've said that’s a make or break deal that we were going to sell out eight guys to have an agreement."

Like Benson, Whitworth said he wasn’t aware of the union’s decision to allow those eight players (all of whom have at least two league policy offenses) to (possibly) be punished while the 16 first-time offenders get off without any punishment at all.

Meanwhile, we all sit here and wait for the NFLPA’s response, because you’d think at some point they will have to disclose its reasons for making this agreement (assuming, of course, that it did make an agreement).  And while the union might have a perfectly good explanation why it would allow this kind of covenant, I imagine the players the NFLPA represents will feel like DeMaurice Smith sold them out.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: September 25, 2011 10:05 am
Edited on: September 25, 2011 10:57 am
 

Report: Benson files unfair labor practice charge

BensonPosted by Josh Katzowitz

In a somewhat weird story, CBSSports.com’s Ryan Wilson wrote Saturday about the supposed deal the NFLPA struck with the NFL in which the union agreed to allow the league to suspend eight players for actions that occurred during the lockout.

Among the names that Yahoo Sports reported that the league could suspend: Aqib Talib and Kenny Britt (though Roger Goodell, thus far, has not punished either), Cedric Benson, Albert Haynesworth, Brandon Underwood, Clark Haggans, Johnny Jolly and Adam Jones.

Apparently, Benson -- who already served only a few days of his 20-day jail sentence after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of assault -- isn’t a fan of that deal.

According to Pro Football Talk, Benson has filed a charge of unfair labor practice against the NFLPA.

Apparently, Benson didn’t know about the agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA -- which was signed, sealed and delivered in early August.

Benson is arguing to the National Labor Relations Board that the NFLPA wasn’t a union during the lockout -- the NFL and a group of retired players all have made the same claim in various lawsuits because, in fact, the NFLPA decertified before the lockout began and took great pains to announce that it no longer was a union -- and Benson also says that he wasn’t an employee of any team during the lockout. Benson reasons that he shouldn't be suspended for actions that occurred when he wasn't an employee of the NFL or of the Bengals.

It just goes to show that even though the lockout has ended and the union has reformed, not everybody is feeling such a sense of solidarity.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: September 24, 2011 5:11 pm
Edited on: September 24, 2011 5:36 pm
 

Report: NFLPA agreed to let NFL punish 8 players

Talib and Britt were two of the eight names on the NFL's suspension list. (AP/Getty Images)

Posted by Ryan Wilson


Earlier this week, the NFL suspended Bengals running back Cedric Benson for three games for player-conduct violations that happened during the lockout. It seemed peculiar that Benson would face sanctions while Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib and Titans wide receiver Kenny Britt -- two players who found plenty of trouble this offseason -- had avoided NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's wrath.

Turns out, Talib and Britt aren't in the clear yet. According to Yahoo.com's Jason Cole, "Talib, Benson and Britt are among eight players who the NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed could be suspended under the league’s personal conduct policy for incidents during the NFL lockout."

The other names, according to two Yahoo.com sources: Albert Haynesworth, Clark Haggans, Brandon Underwood, Johnny Jolly and Adam "Pacman" Jones.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to discuss the report with Yahoo.com. NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said in an email that “I don’t believe any of those players received any discipline, correct?” but Cole writes that Atallah didn't answer when pressed about the NFLPA's involvement.

But Atallah tweeted Sunday that "[S]tory that De(Maurice Smith)/NFLPA agreed to a list of players being disciplined for stuff during lockout is false." Which prompted ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio to tweet in response, "@GeorgeAtallah..., George, I have the letter. De's signature is on it. He agrees to allow 8 players to be disciplined."

During a July radio appearance, former NFL safety Darren Sharper was asked whether Steelers linebacker James Harrison should be suspended for disparaging comments he made about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, even though those comments were made during the lockout. Sharper said the NFL Players Association "would have an issue if (Harrison) were suspended or fined."

While Harrison wasn't one of the eight players listed above, we're guessing Sharper's general point still holds: the NFL's overreaching its authority when it starts disciplining players during a lockout.

PFT.com's Florio wrote in July that "one source with general knowledge of the dynamics recently suggested that Goodell and NFLPA* executive director DeMaurice Smith already have come to an understanding on the point."

Two months later, that now appears to be the case.

Florio added: "But we’ll have trouble understanding any understanding that allows the NFL to punish players for arrests occurring during the lockout. Indeed, a decision by the NFLPA* to expose players retroactively to responsibility for violations of the personal conduct policy could open the door for a fairly potent lawsuit alleging breach of the duty of fair representation, which could open a fairly significant can of worms given that the labor deal will have been negotiated at a time when, technically, the NFLPA* has the power to represent no one."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.
Posted on: September 22, 2011 5:09 pm
Edited on: September 22, 2011 6:24 pm
 

Report: Cedric Benson gets 3-game suspension

Has NFL suspended Benson for 3 games? (US PRESSWIRE)
Posted by Ryan Wilson

Bengals running back Cedric Benson will face a three-game suspension for player-conduct violations that happened during the lockout, Yahoo.com's Mike Silver reported Thursday afternoon.

It's the first instance of the league punishing a player for something that took place during the four-month lockout. Interestingly, Aqib Talib, Kenny Britt and Brandon Marshall all had legal entanglements during that time but avoided NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's wrath.

Benson, who was sentenced to 20 days in jail earlier this month for assaulting an Austin, Texas bartender in 2010, will appeal the suspension next Tuesday.

Silver adds that "If the appeal does not result in a reduction or elimination of the suspension, Benson would miss Cincy's games vs. Buffalo, Jacksonville and Indianapolis," though he would be available for the Bengals' game this Sunday against the 49ers.

Through two weeks, Benson has 41 carries for 180 yards (4.4 average) and he's scored a touchdown. He's also been invaluable to rookie quarterback Andy Dalton, who will now have to rely on running backs Brian Leonard (2 rushes, 15 yards) and Bernard Scott (6 rushes, 13 yards) if Benson's suspension is upheld.

In other Bengals-related news, players Jerome Simpson and Anthony Collins were questioned by authorities earlier this week after another person at Simpson's home signed for a delivery package that contained a 2.5-pound bag of high-grade marijuana from California.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com