Tag:Brian Hartline
Posted on: January 22, 2011 4:24 pm
Edited on: January 22, 2011 5:29 pm
  •  
 

Dolphins extend GM Ireland's contract

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

The Dolphins announced earlier today that general manager Jeff Ireland had signed a multi-year contract extension, and it must come as a relief, though not necessarily a big surprise, to Ireland (and, I suppose, to those who want stability in the organization).

While Ireland certainly has garnered some positive accomplishments since taking over his role after the 2007 season, he had to wonder – at least, slightly – about his job security now that Bill Parcells is basically out of the picture.

Ireland was one of Parcell’s guys – Parcells hired Ireland when he took over the team’s football operations after they worked together in Dallas – but after Parcells stepped away to become a team consultant, one had to wonder if owner Stephen Ross really thought Ireland was the horse he could ride.

Apparently, that is the case.

“The decision to extend Jeff’s contract as our General Manager was an easy one," said Ross in a statement. "The young talent that Jeff has assembled during his three years with the Dolphins has made a profound impact on our franchise’s recovery from the 1-15 season of 2007. Jeff has my full support moving forward as we pursue our goals to build the best and brightest front office in the National Football League and ultimately to win a Super Bowl championship for all of South Florida and Dolphin fans around the world.”

Since taking over, Ireland has drafted talented players like OT Jake Long, CB Vontae Davis, LB Koa Misi and WR Brian Hartline while procuring the services of WR Brandon Marshall and TE Sal Anthony Fasano .

But he’s also missed out on big picks – 2008 second-round pick Phillip Merling and 2009 second-round pick Pat White come to mind – while the jury is still out on QB Chad Henne (2008 second-round pick).

Plus, there was that incident when he, in a pre-Draft interview, asked former Oklahoma State and current Cowboys WR Dez Bryant about the rumors that his mother was a prostitute. Ireland later apologized for the misstep.

But Ross, unlike his latest dealings with coach Tony Sparano, made this transaction rather clean, because so far, Ireland has done enough to impress.

"He's an excellent judge of talent," CBS’ own analyst Charlie Casserly told the Palm Beach Post earlier this month. "He has a clear vision of what he wants the team to look like on the field, and he wants to have a physical team up front on both lines. Any time you have that, you have a chance to win."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Posted on: January 5, 2011 10:37 am
 

More reasons Marshall doesn't like Henne

B. Marshall has made his unhappiness known with the offense of Tony Sparano (US Presswire). Posted by Josh Katzowitz

As Dolphins coach Tony Sparano continues to wait to hear about his job status, his players have begun to let loose their feelings. And it’s likely not helping Sparano’s cause. Or the confidence of QB Chad Henne.

We told you Tuesday about RB Ricky Williams saying he and Sparano were not a great fit and that he was excited to test the free agent waters. Williams said the team respects Sparano, but then he went on to blast Sparano’s micromanaging.

So, that wasn’t good.

But it gets worse.

WRs Brandon Marshall and Brian Hartline also broke down why the team’s offense was so mediocre on a Miami radio show Tuesday, via the Palm Beach Post. And then Marshall went on a rant against Henne.

From the Post :

Marshall, who on Sunday said he’s been on “different pages” with quarterback Chad Henne all year, explained what he meant with radio host Michael Irvin, and said he works better with backup Tyler Thigpen.

Marshall said that in Sunday’s 38-7 loss to New England, there were several plays in which he was lined up 1-on-1 against Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty with no safety help over the top. Marshall, listed at 6-foot-4, has six inches on McCourty, and in the past, his height advantage and the 1-on-1 coverage almost always dictated that Marshall would change his play to a “go” route, and the quarterback would lob the ball up and let Marshall make a play.

“In the past, taking the shot always worked out pretty good, and that’s something I’ve been trying to get called all year,” Marshall said. “I’m covered, (but) that doesn’t mean I’m covered. … Just throw it up, you know?”

But Marshall said that Henne and quarterbacks coach David Lee were never willing to improvise plays at the line of scrimmage, and when Marshall did, they would get upset with him on the sideline.

“Henne, the way he plays the game is he goes exactly through his reads, no matter the matchup,” Marshall said. “Then you get to the sideline, and it’s some conflict there because they don’t like it (changing routes on the fly).”

But Marshall said Thigpen is different. And better with whom to work. It’s because, Marshall theorized, Thigpen played with big-time receiver Dwayne Bowe while he was in Kansas City.

“I think Tyler gets it a little more,” Marshall said. “I’ve been trying to communicate with the quarterbacks all year, and we finally get it in the last game. It shows what we’re capable of doing. So yeah, Tyler is a guy that kind of gets it.”

And Henne apparently doesn’t. Again, not good.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .
Posted on: December 7, 2010 10:03 pm
 

Dolphins likely to lose WR Brian Hartline

Posted by Andy Benoit

Just as Brandon Marshall gets set to return after missing two weeks with a hamstring injury, Miami appears to be on the verge of losing starting wideout Brian Hartline. Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald reports that Hartline underwent a surgical procedure on his hand Tuesday. Omar Kelly of the Sun Sentinel says it was a broken finger.

It is not known how long Hartline, a solid possession target who has over 600 yards this season, will be out. Doctors are waiting to see how he responds. The Dolphins have an excellent No. 3 receiver in Davone Bess, but the receiving depth beyond that is non-existent.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Category: NFL
Posted on: December 3, 2010 10:02 am
 

Hot Routes 12.03.10: Is DeSean wary?



Posted by Josh Katzowitz

- Perhaps, DeSean Jackson would like to call the plays for the Eagles, as well. That’s a bit of a stretch but perhaps not too far out of the question. According to ESPN’s Sal Palantonio, via Pro Football Talk, Jackson and his representatives would like him to run less shallow crossing routes. Apparently, he’s concerned about concussions and how that would hurt his marketability for his next contract (because, then, he’d be liable to take a big hit from a linebacker or a safety). The NFL Network asked Jackson about this after the Thursday night game, and Jackson didn’t really give much credence to the report.

- So, Ben Roethlisberger actually has a broken foot, not a sprained one like the Steelers had been saying. Doesn’t matter. He’s still going to play this weekend, and apparently, it shouldn’t affect anything he would normally do on the field. It probably won’t feel real good, though.

- Remember that $150,000 UFL transfer fee that prevented a number of players from signing with NFL teams? Yeah, now it’s a $25,000 fee. Much more palatable, I’m sure, to NFL GMs and owners.

- Bengals fans want offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski’s head on a platter (actually, this has been their wish for the past several years). Here’s how Bratkowski responded to their bloodlust.

- Panthers CB Chris Gamble talked to reporters about why he missed practice last week, causing him to miss a start. Apparently, he made some kind of “out of mind decision.”

Well, what do you know? The Chargers special teams have begun to play better (not that they could have played much worse). That’s one reason why San Diego is streaking.

Jets kicker Nick Folk knows he’s on shaky ground, especially after the club brought in Kris Brown for a tryout Tuesday. Not surprisingly, Folk had a good day of practice Thursday.

Dolphins WR Brian Hartline has drawn five pass interference penalties from opposing defenses this year. The rest of the Miami receiving corps combined? Zero.

The Broncos said their memories of Kenny McKinley won’t be clouded by the recent revelations of his gambling problems.

Three Minnesota counties
have been wooing the Vikings to build a new stadium so the organization can remain in-state.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Posted on: November 2, 2010 10:25 pm
 

Fins giving 'serious consideration' to Moss?

Posted by Will Brinson

Quickly: name one team who isn't interested in Randy Moss (or at least claiming him). Fine, you got me -- but the Vikings shouldn't count.

The Dolphins sure do, though, and according to Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald, they're giving the possibility of putting in claim for Moss "serious consideration."

Darlington cites a source who says that, as well as the fact that any team would be "foolish" not at least think about it.

The Dolphins traded for Brandon Marshall in the offseason, and they have Davone Bess and Brian Hartline, so they're not exactly desperate for wideout help, but Moss' presence at the very least would turn Marshall into an even bigger monster for Chad Henne targets.

Plus, the combustible combination of Moss and Marshall would be fun to watch from a media perspective. But the bigger problem is that Miami sits at 18th in the waiver order, and would need everyone in front of them to pass on Moss.

That list includes the Seahawks (Mike Williams is their best option, and Pete Carroll likes doing crazy things), the Rams (the Vikings may pay St. Louis to claim him just because anyone who assumes the No. 1 wideout under the arches gets injured), and the Chargers (sure, Norv Turner and Randy Moss don't have a "great history" from Oakland, but Patrick Crayton is their best option until Vincent Jackson returns).

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 25, 2010 3:21 pm
 

Breaking down Camarillo for Sapp

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

The reasons Minnesota traded for Miami WR Greg Camarillo are pretty evident. As we’ve talked about the past few days, Sidney Rice is most likely going to be out for the first half of the year – there’s even some talk about placing him on the Injured Reserve list, meaning he wouldn’t play at all – and the Vikings needed another WR to complement Percy Harvin and Bernard Berrian.

That, of course, assumes Harvin and his migraine headaches will be OK to play.

Now with Camarillo, the Vikings have a possession receiver who should beat out Greg Lewis for the starting job. Camarillo is a good blocker who rarely drops a pass (Football Outsiders says he didn’t drop a pass in 73 attempts last season), and two seasons ago, he led Miami in receptions.

Though he’s been termed a South Florida hero – he caught a game-winning 64-yard TD pass in 2008 that gave Miami its only victory of the season – depth isn’t a problem in the Dolphins receiving room. Without Camarillo, Brian Hartline will take over his WR duties, and Patrick Turner will have a better shot at making the team.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins need help with the depth in their secondary. As Rapid Reporter Chris Perkins points out, the Dolphins were beat for big plays in their first two preseason games, and coach Tony Sparano said that aspect of their game needed to improve.

Plus, three of the four starting defensive backs (CBs Vontae Davis, Sean Smith and FS Chris Clemons) are second-year players, so the fact Sapp has playoff experience and can provide some veteran leadership is a big positive. Sapp, though nothing better than a nickel CB, will provide some of that. Plus, the fact Will Allen isn’t back yet also is a reason for Miami’s coaching staff to worry.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .
Posted on: July 13, 2010 1:39 pm
 

Questions about Hartline's vehicle

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel , a pickup truck registered in the name of Dolphins WR Brian Hartline was found abandoned earlier this month after it had been involved in a car accident.

From the article:

According to authorities, just after 4:30 a.m. on July 3, the pickup truck collided with an abandoned 2002 Cadillac Escalade on Interstate 595 just east of Interstate 95.

"His vehicle ran off road and hit the parked car," said FHP Sgt. Mark Wysocky. "We don't know who was driving the vehicle."

According to an FHP report, after the crash, a trooper went to the Hartline home and spoke with a guest who was staying there. The woman at the home told the trooper to contact Hartline's wife, who was in California. When troopers left a message with her, a call was returned by Hartline's attorney. Hartline's attorney told authorities that Brian Hartline was not injured.

 
The Dolphins said they were unaware of the incident.

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter.



Category: NFL
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com