Play Fantasy Use your Fantasy skills to win Cash Prizes. Join or start a league today. Play Now
 
Tag:Clinton Portis
Posted on: February 22, 2012 1:56 pm
 

Despite death hoax, Clinton Portis still alive

PortisBy Josh Katzowitz

So, apparently, some people thought former Redskins running back Clinton Portis died last weekend in a car crash. He didn’t. Portis, in fact, is currently still alive.

“Not sure about the rumor that’s out but I’m alive and well, before it even begins to spread of a car crash!!!!” Portis wrote Monday on his Twitter account. “I'm in bed goodnight world hopefully I don't go in my sleep 2night!”

And if that didn’t satisfy those who truly believed Portis was gone, he went on 106.7 The Fan (via the Washington Post’s Sports Bog) to let the world know he was still breathing.

“That rumor scared the mess out of me, got my mama calling me wanting to talk every hour,” Portis said. “I don’t know where the rumors came from, but I’m alive and well. Man, I done got calls from everybody. I guess it’s a trending topic on Twitter or whatnot....But I’m good, man. I appreciate the people that are worried, but it ain’t my time yet.”

Latest NFL News, Notes
Thankfully, we can now turn our attention to Portis’ chances of landing with a new team next year after the Redskins released him a year ago. Um, those chances are probably not good, and Portis, despite trying out for some teams last year, sounds like he’s realistic about a possible comeback attempt.

“I enjoyed my time with the Washington Redskins,” Portis said. “I don’t regret anything, I don’t look back and wish I would have changed anything. It was a moment in life. You know, everything comes to an end. That’s relationships, buying a new car, buying a new house.

“You always love it in the beginning, and towards the end, you see a new car that you want, or you feel like you need to upgrade and move, or you want to re-do your house. Nothing lasts forever, and I understand that. And I understand the decision that the Redskins made in moving on....I don’t have any regrets. I think Mr. (Dan) Snyder gave me the opportunity to do something that most people would die for.”

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.
Posted on: September 2, 2011 10:31 pm
 

Gurode to visit NE; what would Haynesworth think?

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

When the Cowboys released center Andre Gurode, we should have known he’d eventually earn a visit with the Patriots. After all, New England has been the epicenter of the NFL’s revitalization clinic. And why not? As Albert Haynesworth says, New England is the greatest place on earth!!!.

Aside from Haynesworth, the Patriots have thrown a lifeline to Chad Ochocinco and tried out Clinton Portis and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (those last two obviously didn’t work out).

Now, it’s Gurode’s turn to visit the New England coaches, as reported by the Boston Herald.

And if you thought that Steve Smith-LeSean McCoy was, um, slightly awkward, what will happen if Gurode and Haynesworth are playing on the same team? Click the video below to refresh your memory. I imagine it wouldn't be a happy reunion.



For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.

Posted on: August 19, 2011 6:54 pm
Edited on: August 19, 2011 8:58 pm
 

Report: Clinton Portis tried out with Patriots

PortisPosted by Josh Katzowitz

In case you were wondering what happened to RB Clinton Portis -- aside from the fact Ryan Torain is still waving to him in his rearview mirror -- the Boston Herald has the news that the former Redskins star was in town Friday to work out with the Patriots.

Portis has had a number of good years for the Broncos and Redskins, gaining at least 1,200 yards in six of the seven seasons between 2002-08,and it’s a tad surprising his name hasn’t been brought up more as a viable free agent (I mean, when Tiki Barber is getting more pub than you, that’s not a great thing). But then again, Portis is 29 years old -- certainly middle age at his position -- and he’s been slowed down by injuries.

Last year, the loss of Portis for 11 games (he only carried the ball 54 times for 227 yards after suffering a torn abdominal muscle) led to the impressive play by Torain, hastening Portis’ departure out of town, especially since he was going to be paid $8.2 million for 2011.

It seems rather unlikely the Patriots are the team for Portis, though. They’ve already got young talent in BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead, as well as draft picks Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen, but it wouldn’t be shocking to see Portis land somewhere this season.

As the preseason continues, there are bound to be teams who wouldn’t mind having Portis around to help build depth. Wouldn’t you rather have him than Barber anyway?

First, he'll have to get in better shape. As the Boston Globe writes, Portis apparently wasn't at all fit during his tryout after having to lose 25 pounds in two weeks. Hmm, maybe teams would rather have an in-shape Barber rather than an eccentric overweight Portis.

UPDATED (8:56 p.m. ET): Player agent JR Rickert disputes the Globe claim. He tweeted that Poris weighed in at 222 pounds and there is "absolutely no truth to him being overweight."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: May 25, 2011 8:53 pm
Edited on: May 25, 2011 9:07 pm
 

Hot Routes 5.25.11: Mike Kafka's 'next step'

Posted by Will Brinson



Got a link for the Hot Routes? Hit us up on Twitter (@CBSSportsNFL).
  • Mike Kafka told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he's ready to "take that next step" and become the Eagles' official backup. Of course, that presumes that Kevin Kolb is traded. Fortunately, Andy Reid's got his back too. I know that Reid's really good at developing quarterbacks and all, but going from Kolb backing up Vick to Kafka backing up Vick is a significantly different proposition.
  • Is it legal for the younger brother of an NFL offensive coordinator to teach that OC's new quarterback the offense? I mean, it's not, right?


Posted on: February 28, 2011 2:25 pm
 

Redskins make it final, release Portis

Washington released C. Portis after a good run (Getty). Posted by Josh Katzowitz

The only surprising aspect of the Redskins announcement today that they had released RB Clinton Portis was that the announcement hadn’t been made Sunday.

As we pointed out the other day, Portis had a great run in Washington, but he had missed 19 games the past two seasons because of injuries, and considering he will turn 30 in September and will cost Washington $8.2 million for the 2011 season, this move was expected.

Especially with the solid play of backup Ryan Torain last season.

“Clinton provided excitement from the very first time he touched the ball as a Redskin and we were lucky to witness every ounce of energy, effort and passion he has given ever since,” Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder said in a statement. “We have been through a lot both on and off of the field and we would like to wish him and his family the very best. He will always be a Redskin and go down as one of the franchise’s all-time greats.”

Portis also released a statement through the team:  “I would like to thank the organization. Dan [Snyder] and Mike [Shanahan] were honest, straight-up people with me. I always appreciated the opportunity from Dan to play here. Being a Redskin was a special part of my life. Coming and being in that organization, I turned from a kid having fun to a man carrying responsibilities. I tried to put the world on my shoulders for Coach Gibbs and the Redskins fans.”

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Posted on: February 26, 2011 9:27 pm
 

Report: Redskins to release Portis very soon

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

RB Clinton Portis’ time in Washington grows shorter by the hour. And by the time you read this blog post, he could be officially off the roster.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Redskins, who would have to pay Portis about $8.2 million this season, could release him as early as Sunday.

Portis Portis had a good run in Washington, gaining at least 1,250 rushing yards in four of his first five seasons with the Redskins. But he’s missed 19 games the past two years, and after playing in only five contests before suffering a groin injury this season, backup RB Ryan Torain played well in his absence.

Though he’ll turn 30 by the beginning of the 2011 season -- usually the beginning, if not the middle (or the end), of the end for elite RBs -- Portis still feels he’s retained his skills.

"I know I got good football left in me," Portis told reporters this week. "I think being fresh, having been really in the last two years not having a lot of contact, I think the two injuries -- going out with a concussion, and then the torn groin -- was really fluke injuries. I don't think that's a wear and tear, like, 'Oh his body broke down.' I think that was just fluke injuries."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .


Posted on: February 25, 2011 7:16 pm
Edited on: February 25, 2011 11:18 pm
 

Redskins likely to lose three marquee players

Posted by Eye on Football staff

INDIANAPOLIS – For those wondering about the status of Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth and Clinton Portis within the Redskins organization, wonder no more. Coach Mike Shanahan, meeting today with the media at the NFL combine, cleared it all up.

Which is to say he didn’t clear up much of anything (though, to be fair, we can take pretty good educated guesses about if those players will return).

On the topic of McNabb:

“I had a chance about two days ago to talk to (McNabb's agent) Fletcher Smith and we talked for about an hour and a half. I thought I had a great conversation with him. Obviously we had a lot of quotes that were out there over the course of the season. I was able to address questions he had and I thought the conversation went well. I think over the next few weeks we’ll get the chance to talk again, and then we’ll make a decision right after the draft of the direction we’ll go. But I thought it was a good initial conversation. We’ll let time take care of itself and we’ll get a chance to spend some more time together in the near future.”

Chances of McNabb playing in Washington in 2011: not great.

On the topic of Haynesworth:

“You never really know. Albert, right now, is appealing a four-game suspension. He’s had a couple alleged instances he’s got to take care of. Obviously that goes through the commissioner and hopefully that comes out positive. There’s a lot of ramifications there, so we’ve got to take care of that first.”

Chances of Haynesworth playing in Washington in 2011: I don’t see how.

On the topic of Portis:

"Relative to free agency and our own, we’re always wanting to sign our players, so we’re constantly talking to their agents. With a guy like Clinton Portis, he’s a little bit different. With a guy with a high salary cap, I’ve always dealt with it a little differently. If we’re not going to sign Clinton to that high salary, I’ll let him test the market out. Not to say we don’t want him, but for a lower price, and obviously we’ll try to find the best deal. It could happen. I don’t want to say right now. If I said that, usually I’m being pretty honest with you. Could be two days from now, could be three days from now. Could be later today."

Chances of Portis playing in Washington in 2011:
Not gonna happen.

Bythe way, looks like CBSSports.com's own Clark Judge and I have similar opinions.



For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Posted on: January 6, 2011 5:30 pm
Edited on: January 6, 2011 5:31 pm
 

Campbell says he was Redskins 'scapegoat'

J. Campbell said he was Washington's scapegoat before he left for Oakland (Getty). Posted by Josh Katzowitz

Not surprisingly, Raiders QB Jason Campbell, coming off a decently-successful season in Oakland, doesn’t look back on his time with the Redskins especially fondly. Or, you know, you could say he’s actually pretty bitter about the whole thing.

In fact, he told Washington-based blog Mr. Irrelevant that he was the team’s scapegoat.

“That last season I put up really good numbers, and my star running back was out,” Campbell told the blog. “Clinton Portis was out for most of the season. Then Ladell Betts came in and got hurt. We lost Chris Samuels. We lost our right guard and our right tackle.

“So you’re still out there fighting hard in every game … and there were a lot of close games we should’ve won.

“The fact that I was the scapegoat for all of that, it really stung a little bit. It was tough.”

Campbell also had this to say about his former boss, owner Daniel Snyder.

“I was always trying to put my heart into everything (the Redskins) did. The owner or whatever it was, the owner was always pointing the finger at me. It was always like people were out to get me.”

Campbell has a point (though he does come off a bit paranoid). In 2009, he threw for 3,618 yards, 20 TDs and 15 INTs, and he had the best statistical stats of his career. But Redskins coach Mike Shanahan couldn’t get him out of D.C. fast enough, and at first, it did sound like a good plan (who wouldn’t basically trade Campbell for Donovan McNabb at that point?).

But Campbell has the last laugh. Sort of. Sure, he doesn’t have a head coach at the moment, even if the Raiders are coming off an 8-8 season. Of course, he also doesn’t play for a team whose top quarterback currently is Rex Grossman.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com