Posted by Josh Katzowitz
- The Panthers will get an up-close look at Ryan Mallett on Tuesday when they conduct a private workout for the Arkansas QB. This obviously is big news because Carolina holds the No. 1 pick.
- Several teams, according to a report in SI (via the Baltimore Sun) , have dropped the name of Colorado CB Jimmy Smith off their draft boards. Plenty of questions about his character.
- You remember Ravens LB Jameel McClain’s big, nasty-looking hit on Steelers TE Heath Miller? Well, his fine has been cut in half to $20,000.
- George Whitfield, who’s coaching Cam Newton these days, tells Chris Russell of ESPN 980 in Washington that Newton is so far from a finished product that it’s scary. He also said Newton’s QB model is that of Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger.
- Former teammates gathered to remember former Bills/Chargers QB Jack Kemp. He was quite an interesting dude.
- Steelers president Art Rooney II was disappointed with the result – or lack of results – of the labor negotiations. He also regrets that there was so little actual bargaining.
- A nice little story about Chargers QB Philip Rivers and how far he’s willing to go – and drive – in order to keep a speaking engagement.
- If games are missed, some teams will offer refunds to season ticket holders while throwing in a little bit of interest. The Bears are not one of those clubs.
- According to Ravens S/prize fighter Tom Zbikowski, his next fight is set for March 26 in Atlantic City against the dreaded TBA. So far, Zbikowski is 2-0 with two first-round knockouts. Chances are good that, in a couple weeks, he’ll be 3-0 with three knockouts.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .