Play Fantasy Use your Fantasy skills to win Cash Prizes. Join or start a league today. Play Now
 
Tag:Marc Bulger
Posted on: December 11, 2011 9:31 am
 

Report: Bears gauged interest in Marc Bulger

BulgerBy Josh Katzowitz

With all the talk about the Bears interest (or lack thereof) of Brett Favre -- he’s never going away people! -- and whether Chicago wanted to take its chances on signing Donovan McNabb, the organization apparently was looking at another veteran quarterback to gauge his interest in returning to the league.

That quarterback, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Dan Pompei, was former Rams starter/Ravens backup Marc Bulger. And though coach Lovie Smith has come out and said the Bears didn’t want to add another quarterback to the mix of Caleb Hanie, Nathan Enderle and Josh McCown, with Matt Forte out for the next few weeks, it makes perfect sense Chicago would want to figure out another way to get some offensive firepower.

The problem, in this case, is that Bulger simply wasn’t interested. As Kurt Warner said last August, when Bulger decided to retire in the first place, Bulger doesn’t want to play football anymore. So, when the Bears called him recently to talk to him about joining the team, he said thanks but no thanks.

Pompei also writes that the Bears DID, in fact, talk about signing McNabb. They obviously chose not to add him, but it’s not because they didn’t think he could still play the game.

Writes Pompei: “The team feels good about Caleb Hanie and did not want to send him a message they were looking to replace him. They wanted to keep Hanie focused on doing his job rather than looking over his shoulder.

“The other issue is it would have been difficult to prepare McNabb. Josh McCown needed less time and attention to integrate himself in the Bears offense because he had played for Martz before. McNabb never had played in any system remotely similar.”

But if Hanie continues his poor production of late (he’s completing 48.3 percent of his passes for six interceptions and two touchdowns since taking over for the injured Jay Cutler), the Bears might have to do something before they’re knocked out of the playoff race for good.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.
Posted on: November 21, 2011 11:42 am
 

Which free agent QBs could fit Bears needs?

Cutler, Martz

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

Now that Bears coach Lovie Smith has officially confirmed the news that Jay Cutler broke his thumb* while trying to make a tackle after an interception during Chicago’s win against the Chargers on Sunday, we wonder where the Bears offense goes from here.

*You can see video of the play here.

The Bears QB Future
The quick reaction from across the league has been definitive: the Bears are screwed. And it’s hard not to disagree, especially when you consider Caleb Hanie is the new starting quarterback and fifth-round pick Nathan Enderle (if you haven’t heard of him, that’s OK -- he played his college ball at Idaho) is his backup. That could be a recipe for disaster.

Hanie has played a total of seven games in his three-year career, and in the regular season, he’s completed 8 of 14 passes for 66 yards. But his real moment to shine occurred during last year’s NFC championship game (you might remember it because Cutler injured his knee, couldn’t return to the game and got toasted for it by his colleagues on Twitter) when he completed 13 of 20 passes for 153 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions in Chicago’s 21-14 loss.

The Bears most likely will have to sign a third quarterback for the roster (or a fourth, assuming they don’t place Cutler on IR, and for now, the Bears don’t have a timetable for his return), and they’ll have to troll the free agent market to do so. Chances are, they won’t get somebody more prepared to play in this offense than Hanie, but an experienced quarterback could add depth and keep Enderle from having to come into the game.

Here is a list of five potential free agents the Bears could target.

BulgerMarc Bulger: This one seems the most obvious, because Bulger worked under Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz when Martz was the head coach in St. Louis. In order for an incoming free agent to have any chance of playing this season for the Bears, he most likely would need to have knowledge of Martz’s style of play. Bulger has that. But Bulger has made it clear he’s not interested in returning to football. He told the Ravens at the beginning of season to give him a call if Joe Flacco suffered an injury, but since then, Bulger has told at least one team that he’s not interested in playing football anymore. Unless Bulger was guaranteed that he would be a backup, the Bears probably should move on.

Chances of this happening: 10 percent

Trent Edwards: After he didn’t make the Raiders squad out of training camp, Edwards actually had a chance to sign with the Dolphins once they lost Chad Henne. But Edwards took one look at that franchise and said thanks, but no thanks (Matt Moore, by the way, is forever grateful). Edwards actually had a decent year as the Bills starter in 2008, but he eventually lost that job to Ryan Fitzpatrick. The problem with Edwards, though, is that he’s not been especially good for the past three years. I mean, if Kyle Boller beats you out of a backup job, that’s not a very good sign.

Chances of this happening: 8 percent
T. Collins struggled in last year's NFC championship game (US Presswire).
Todd Collins: Just because Collins is 40 years old (!) and got yanked for Hanie after Collins briefly replaced Cutler in the NFC championship game last year (as seen in the picture at left) doesn’t mean the Bears shouldn’t look at him anyway. Collins spent a season with Martz, so he should know the offense relatively well. The problem is that Collins has never been anything more than an NFL backup, and if you had to pick between Collins and Enderle, you might be better suited to go with the rookie. But for some reason, I think there’s a chance Chicago could turn back to Collins if things get desperate.

Chances of this happening: 20 percent

Jake Delhomme: If the Bears were looking for a Collins alternative who is four years younger with infinitely more NFL success, they could do worse than Delhomme. That said, Delhomme was a disaster last year in Cleveland and eventually gave way to Colt McCoy. Though there reportedly was interest in him by the Browns and the Dolphins this year, Delhomme isn’t doing much of anything these days (except for sending John Fox congratulatory text messages). Fortunately, the Bears coaching staff would have the ability to watch film from Delhomme’s stay in Cleveland last year. And that should be enough to force the coaches to toss Delhomme’s number in the trash.

Chances of this happening: 5 percent

Brett Favre: Stop it. Just … stop it.

Chances of this happening: 0.5 percent

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: August 3, 2011 8:34 am
Edited on: August 3, 2011 11:46 am
 

Marc Bulger retires

Posted by Ryan Wilson

Marc Bulger was one of the veterans often mentioned in recent months as possibly landing with a quarterback-needy team to serve as the bridge to the young franchise QB-in-waiting. Instead, after a nine-year NFL career, Bulger has decided to retire.

A league source says Bulger received offers from other teams but chose not to pursue them.

Bulger, 34, played collegiately at West Virginia, and was a sixth-round pick of the Saints in the 2000 NFL Draft. He spent eight years in St. Louis, and in 2002, he replaced an injured Jamie Martin (who had replaced an injured Kurt Warner) and led the 0-5 Rams to six straight wins. A year later, St. Louis was 12-4 with Bulger under center. He started 15 times in 2004, performing well enough that the team released Warner that offseason.

Bulger played in St. Louis until 2009 before serving as Joe Flacco's backup in Baltimore last season.

In June, Warner indicated that Bulger might be happy as a backup given the beating he took in St. Louis as a starter. Warner added that “he can just enjoy life and not have to worry about the pressure of being an NFL starter and everything that goes with it."

Warner made it clear that he wasn't being critical of Bulger, just assessing the situation as he saw it. Turns out, he wasn't far off. But it appears Bulger took it a step further. Instead of settling for a backup gig, he decided to hang it up altogether.

Bulger ends his career with 22,814 passing yards, 93 touchdowns and was twice named to the Pro Bowl.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 3, 2011 9:03 pm
Edited on: July 3, 2011 9:59 pm
 

Henne wants to start, has talked to Marshall

Posted by Ryan Wilson

When asked last month if Chad Henne would be the Dolphins starting quarterback next season, coach Tony Sparano only offered up a "we'll see." (Not a ringing endorsement cut certainly better than the fate that awaits, say, Donovan McNabb in Washington.)

Henne, as you might expect, feels differently, telling the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Andrew Carter, “Well that’s up to the coaching staff but I sure as heck want to be the starting quarterback for Miami Dolphins and lead them to the playoffs and the Super Bowl and I’m going to do the best I can to compete out there and earn that spot.”

It's July, but a lot can happen between now and the start of the regular season. Assuming the lockout ends in the coming days, there will be free agency. And the Dolphins haven't hidden the fact that they will probably be in the market for a veteran quarterback (Marc Bulger and Vince Young have been mentioned as possible options).

In June, Sparano talked about what Henne has accomplished in the league and what he needs to do to get better. “The one thing we’ve had time to do is a lot of homework and study,” he said. “And I would tell you when you put Chad’s numbers up against some of the better quarterbacks in our league, his numbers are pretty impressive. They hold up. Now what has to happen? We have to cut down the impulse throws, the interceptions that happen late in the fourth quarter.”

And when asked how he can improve, Henne echoed many of those sentiments. “It’s definitely the turnover ratio, I think. The biggest thing is not turning the ball over in critical situations, finishing the game in the right way in the fourth quarter and just not over-thinking things, just play the game.”

So for now it's Henne's job to lose. Of course, whether he keeps it is a function of his performance, which is in part dependent on the play of his wide receivers. The Dolphins have one of the NFL's best in Brandon Marshall who is in the news as much for his on-field performances as his off-field issues. In his first season with the Dolphins, Marshall caught 86 passes for 1,014 yards but just three touchdowns. And by January he was frustrated enough with the offense -- and Henne specifically -- to take his feelings public.

“Tyler [Thigpen] gets it a little more,” Marshall said during an appearance on Michael Irvin’s radio show. “He had an opportunity to play with Dwayne Bowe in Kansas City and they made some plays out there so I guess he understands [about] throwing the ball to a big receiver a little more than Chad Henne,” he said.

Last season, Thigpen and Marshall went off script during a game against the Patriots, and the decision wasn't well received by quarterbacks coach David Lee. “They expect me to run an in-route, but me as a player, when we get singled with no safety over the top I want to take a shot and just converted it to a go,” Marshall said at the time, according to the Sun-Sentinel's Omar Kelly. “Seemed like an easier throw, easier play was the go route.”

PFT reported that Dolphins wide receiver Brian Hartline agreed with Marshall, saying that the Dolphins seldom deviated from the game plan and the offense sometimes needs to “make … plays off schedule.”

Henne was frank when asked recently about his relationship with Marshall. “Yeah, I mean we had our ups and downs last year," he said. "And some not-so friendly exchanged words but we’ve talked in the off-season. I’ve been sending him some of the playbooks so he can pick up on that because he’s been bouncing around with some of the things that have gone on in the past. But he’s still a good guy, he just speaks up sometimes when you don’t want him to. But he’s a great player and you definitely want him on your side.”

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: July 1, 2011 5:15 pm
Edited on: July 1, 2011 5:51 pm
 

Hot Routes 7.01.11: Dareus mows lawn for rent



Posted by Ryan Wilson
  • Bucs CB Aqib Talib has a trial date: March 26, 2012, which means that his legal suit won't be settled until after the season. This is good news for his chances of playing in 2011, but bad news because Roger Goodell likely still looks forward to suspending him.
  • Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter tweets that the Cards will try to trade for Kevin Kolb and the name he's hearing "will surprise you." Prepare accordingly.
  • Things that won't surprise you (but make you laugh nonetheless): Washingtonian readers Redskins owner the "worst local villain." He finished ahead of Marion Barry (!). And the worst local athlete? Albert Haynesworth, who was signed by … Dan Snyder.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: June 24, 2011 1:46 pm
Edited on: June 24, 2011 3:00 pm
 

Would the Cards trade DRC for Kolb?

D. Rodgers-Cromartie is rumored to be traded to Philadelphia (Getty).Posted by Josh Katzowitz

The Cardinals, without question, need a quarterback for 2011. The Eagles, without question, would like a cornerback to play opposite Asante Samuel.

So, what would make more sense than a trade for Eagles QB Kevin Kolb and Cardinals CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie?

And with all the rumors, started by a Philadelphia radio station, that have occurred the past couple days linking these two teams together for an impending trade, it almost seems like the swap is just about complete.

Except it’s not, according to Arizona’s official website.

Writes Darren Urban: “To begin with, the Cards, who have been looking to solidify their third cornerback spot, finally seem to have that lined up with (Patrick) Peterson, DRC and Greg Toler. That becomes an issue all over again if DRC is dealt. Peterson hasn’t even proven he can play cornerback yet – remember, there are some who think he’ll be better suited as a safety, a la Antrel Rolle – and giving up the team’s best current corner is a pretty big risk in today’s pass-happy NFL. Also, for whatever DRC’s faults might be, his resume is still more complete than Kolb."

And so continues the idea of Kolb as the biggest potential acquisition of the offseason. But, like Urban, I don’t see why the Cardinals would make this move, especially since nobody really knows if Kolb is any good. That’s the point that’s baffling to me. Kolb has started seven games in his career and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. Is that enough to know for sure? Would you want to give up one of your starting cornerbacks to take a chance that Kolb is that much better than Derek Anderson or John Skelton or, if the Cardinals go the free agent route, Marc Bulger?

I don’t see why Arizona would take that chance. It doesn’t sound like the Cardinals will.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Fee

Posted on: June 21, 2011 12:39 pm
Edited on: June 21, 2011 1:13 pm
 

If Bulger wants to start, Miami could be option

Posted by Ryan Wilson

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano would only offer a "we'll see" when asked recently if Chad Henne would be his starter in 2011. The team has been upfront about its pursuit of a veteran quarterback once free agency begins; the only question is who Miami might target.

Regarding realistic free-agent options at QB and RB, Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel tweeted Monday that it's "[h]ard to say until I know the RFA rules. But at worse: [Marc] Bulger & [Darren] Sproles."

We've mentioned the uncertainty surrounding the restricted free-agent rules. However that plays out, Bugler will draw the interest of several QB-needy teams. NFL Network's Jason La Canfora said in May that the Dolphins could be in the mix for Bulger's services. But even then, Rotoworld.com speculated that "Bulger doesn't want to be a starter in the NFL, and that he'd be more comfortable not taking anymore hits."

This jibes with what Kurt Warner, who was Bulger's teammate in St. Louis, said last week (via PFT):
Warner pointed out that Bulger “got beat up pretty good” as the starter in St. Louis, and that it wouldn’t surprise Warner to learn that Bulger is “happy” as a backup, and that “he can just enjoy life and not have to worry about the pressure of being an NFL starter and everything that goes with it.” Again, Warner was careful not to phrase his assessment as criticism, and Warner said he thinks that Bulger would want to start again if he finds the right situation.
Whether Miami would be the "right situation" remains to be seen, although Henne is presumably on a short leash after two inconsistent seasons.

In related news, the Dolphins' 2009 second-round pick Pat White has signed to play for Marty Schottenheimer and the UFL's Virginia Destroyers. (Yep, that's the same Marty Schottenheimer who basically said "thanks but no thanks" when asked about Terrelle Pryor.)

White, who briefly played professional baseball, calls his new opportunity a "chance to show I can do it." Unfortunately, that never happened in Miami.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: April 29, 2011 6:33 pm
Edited on: April 29, 2011 7:15 pm
 

Bengals officially say goodbye to Carson Palmer

Posted by Josh Katzowitz


 NEW YORK – Looks like the Bengals are content to say goodbye to QB Carson Palmer. Officially.

With its second-round pick (No. 35 overall) in the NFL draft, Cincinnati picked Texas Christian’s Andy Dalton – apparently its next quarterback of the future.

NFL Draft
NFL Draft Coverage More NFL Draft Coverage
Mock Drafts | Risers/Fallers
Prospects | Full Draft Coverage
Palmer, as you know, has said he’ll retire rather than play for the Bengals, and in lieu of trying to get any compensation for him, they’re probably content to just let Palmer go and welcome Dalton into the fold.

The quandary here, of course, is what they’ll do with Dalton. When Cincinnati chose Carson Palmer at No. 1 in 2003, coaches put him behind Jon Kitna on the depth chart where he could learn for a year. It makes sense that the Bengals might have to get a free agent QB (maybe Marc Bulger?) in order to help ease Dalton’s transition.

Because Jordan Palmer – Cincinnati’s current No. 1 QB – probably isn’t the guy to do it.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .


 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com