It looks like the next head coach for the Buccaneers will be a name that seemingly came out of left field. And not the good kind of left field either. That view, anyway, is the reaction from many NFL and college football observers around Twitter on Thursday morning after news broke that Greg Schiano would leave Rutgers for Tampa Bay.
Never mind that Schiano spurned the Scarlet Knights for the NFL only six days before National Signing Day, but for a coach who only had three seasons in the NFL (with the Bears as a secondary coach in the late 1990s), Schiano isn’t a big name like Oregon’s Chip Kelly who could excite a Buccaneers fan base that needs a shot of adrenaline.
Some Twitter observers lauded the move, but the majority of those commenting are questioning the wisdom of this hire.
Here’s how various reporters and analysts saw the move:
- @SI_PeterKing: Re Schiano naysayers: Having lived in NJ from 85-09, that program was beyond rock bottom for yrs. Schiano built a nationally competitive ... program from scratch. He had so much farther to go to make it relevant that it's not fair to say, "What has he won?'' IMO.
- @RapSheet (Boston Herald): Not as crazy as it sounds. He's a builder
- @MikeGarafolo (Newark Star Ledger): Was looking at our paper today, thinking, "I wonder what it would take to knock #SB46 off the sports cover." I now have my answer: #Schiano
- @GregABedard (Boston Globe): Loved Schiano the program builder, recruiter. Terrific preparation. Not a fan of game coaching. Reminded of Wannstedt, who he coached under
- @art_stapleton (Bergen Record): So yeah, I'm guessing that Greg Schiano interview I've got scheduled to talk about RU players in Super Bowl won't be happening any time soon
- @dennisdoddcbs: Actually, Schiano makes more sense for the Bucs. Runs almost a total NFL system. Solid.
- @RichCimini (ESPN New York): Bucs planning to hire Rutgers' Greg Schiano. Wait a minute: They're hiring a guy who got blown out by UConn? Huh?
- @BigE52_RU (former Rutgers player Eric Legrand): Really? Not going to lie I am a little bit shocked right now
- @AlbertBreer (NFL.com): I also can't help but think that Jim Harbaugh's success has caused NFL types to take harder looks at college coaches.
- @greggdoyelcbs: Greg Schiano has earned the right to leave Rutgers. Bucs have earned the right to go 3-13 in 2012. Capitalism works
- @FauxJohnMadden: Greg Schiano to the Tampa Bay Bucs, which may or may not be a step down from Rutgers.
- @DaveLozo (NHL.com): Schiano news makes me sad and happy all at once. I hope for him Tampa Bay never has to beat WVU to reach the postseason.
- @adamrank: Schiano to Bucs? When you get a chance to hire a coach from a middle-of-the-road team in the worst BCS conference, you do it.
For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, subscribe to our NFL newsletter, and while you're add it, add our RSS Feed.