Tag:New York Jets
Posted on: August 3, 2010 2:42 pm
  •  
 

Revis hold-out might last a while

D. Revis, if he continues his hold-out, will have plenty of more time for photo shoots (Getty). I talked with Lauren Shehadi on Monday during the CBSSports.com Around the League video segment , and I told her I thought the New York Jets would take care of CB Darrelle Revis’ contract. They’d have to, I thought. He’s the best cornerback in the league and he has plenty of leverage.

But I also pointed out that New York had moved Antonio Cromartie to Revis’ side of the field, so it seemed that the Jets felt like a longer hold-out was a possibility. But – and I don’t think I said this – I didn’t expect his absence to last into the season.

Well, that might not be the case. At least, that’s the sense I got from reading this Boston Globe story about Revis’ holdout, which entered its third day today.

From Albert Breer’s piece:

What are the chances the Jets start playing games that count without Revis? Better than you think.

“The main issue with us at this point is total compensation,’’ owner Woody Johnson said. “The guaranteed money or length of a contract or all the things that are part of a contract. . . we haven’t even negotiated those, because we’re so far apart on the other one.’’

The gap is, indeed, cavernous, according to league sources. The Jets have made a one-year offer, giving Revis a hefty raise from his $1 million salary with a promise to revisit the situation later, and they’ve also made a blockbuster long-term offer. Revis’ opinion of both is represented by his absence.

But more than the dollars, the divide is philosophical.

Revis’ position is simple. He wants that highest-paid-cornerback designation. That distinction now belongs to the RaidersNnamdi Asomugha, who signed a three-year, $45.3 million deal with $28.3 million guaranteed in 2009 that brings him $16.585 million in 2010.


Breer then points out something I hadn’t thought about. Sure, Revis deserves to be one of the highest-paid players in the NFL – though I don’t see how New York will give him $15 million – but he’s still only a third-year player who still has three years left on his contract.

Oakland’s Asomugha played out a contract and then was franchise-tagged before getting his huge contract. Asante Samuel, Dunta Robinson, Nate Clements and Champ Bailey went through similar circumstances. Why shouldn’t Revis have to wait a little longer – prove a little more – before he gets paid like a big-boy cornerback.

I think eventually Revis will get more money, because he’s so invaluable to the Jets defense. But it might take longer to get him on the field than I originally thought. And New York – financially and defensively – will be the poorer for it.

--Josh Katzowitz

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .



Posted on: August 2, 2010 7:15 pm
Edited on: August 2, 2010 7:16 pm
 

Kris Jenkins is the now-less-fat Jet of them all

Kris Jenkins, Rex Ryan and Damien Woody all engaged in a weight-loss contest for charity during the offseason.

And it turns out that Jenkins is the big winner (see his sveltness to the right). Or loser, if you prefer. The DT lost 33.6 pounds (on a mostly all-cookie diet, no less ) and was jubilant when he weighed in Sunday.

"I won! I won!" Jenkins said with a huge smile while doing a celebratory dance.

"I feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in in a while," he said.

Ryan "lost" 57 pounds, but the majority of the weight was from lap-band surgery, so it didn't count in the contest. Woody shed 26.2 pounds, getting all the way down to 340. (Jenkins, by the way, clocked in at 359.)

"[Ryan] tried to put us under the bus saying, 'Aw-w-w, you guys didn't let [the lap-band surgery] count,"' Jenkins said. "He was the one when we started the competition who said, 'I'm not going to count this.' OK, well, take the 'L' like a man."

L as it may be, Woody put it best when he said that this was a "win-win" for everyone involved: he, Jenkins and Ryan are all a little healthier, the Jets should be a little better, and a charity is a little richer.

-- Will Brinson

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow  @cbssportsnfl   on Twitter   and subscribe to our  RSS Feed .
Posted on: August 1, 2010 6:05 pm
 

Darrelle Revis "officially" begins holding out

It was assumedd that Darrelle Revis was going to hold out of Jets trainign camp. Now, it's official.

Revis' agent Neil Schwartz released a statement to the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta this afternoon, stating that, "We waited until the last possible minute with hope of getting something done. Darrelle won't be there."

Scwartz added that Revis was "extremely disappointed" and that he was "very deliberate with his family weighing everything in his decision."

Finally, the agent called Revis "frustrated" and "hurt."

That's par for the course in terms of setting up your client to look favorable in the public's eye and making sure to play the PR game. But no one's shocked by the fact that Revis isn't in camp right now -- anyone who thought he was bluffing, that was probably a foolish assumption.

The reality here is that something will get done before the season starts. There's simply no way the Jets won't cough up some money to get their (arguably) best player on the field in time.

-- Will Brinson

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow  @cbssportsnfl   on Twitter   and subscribe to our  RSS Feed   .  
Posted on: July 30, 2010 5:45 pm
 

Jets sign Laveranues Coles for temporary role

The Jets have signed possession receiver Laveranues Coles to a one-year deal. This is Coles’s third tour of duty with the Jets. He was brought in to be a source of depth while Santonio Holmes serves his four-game suspension. Coles has already said that he could be gone once Holmes returns.
L. Coles (US Presswire)
The 32-year-old veteran no longer has explosiveness in and out of his breaks, and his quickness has deteriorated to a subpar level that matches his speed. That said, Coles’s intelligence and toughness can’t be questioned. He can be a serviceable No. 4 or No. 5 receiver to open the season. In the first four games, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery will start. Likely, either Brad Smith or David Clowney will operate out of the slot.

-- Andy Benoit

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow  @cbssportsnfl   on Twitter   and subscribe to our  RSS Feed .
Category: NFL
Posted on: July 30, 2010 2:43 pm
Edited on: July 30, 2010 3:08 pm
 

Jets announce extensions for Ryan, Tannenbaum

The New York Jets announced Friday on the team's official blog that both coach Rex Ryan and GM Mike Tannenbaum have signed contract extensions.

The news means that both Ryan and Tannenbaum will be with the team through 2014.

Extending Ryan makes some sense -- after all, he's beloved by a city that is notoriously harsh towards athletes and coaches (see: Coughlin, Tom and his status just a few years removed from winning a freaking Super Bowl).

Additionally, his defensive schemes made the Jets one of the most formidable squads in the NFL last year (although, in fairness, plenty of the personnel on those squads weren't drafted/signed by Ryan; though Tannenbaum was there during the Eric Mangini era).

But, as Clark Judge noted today , extending a coach after a 9-7 season, especially when several stars are still seeking the security of longer deals (namely Darrelle Revis), could absolutely be considered an odd use of a team's financial attention.

There's a case to be made that Tannenbaum's extension is a little more questionable, but by linking the deals, the Jets can make sure that if the tag-team of Ryan and his GM is a good one, they're locked in for at least the foreseeable future.

It's also worth noting that the two men appear to have created a team that's prepared to contend for a Super Bowl, and done so in quick fashion. They'd clearly be foolish not to take the money, even if it might come with some heightened expectations.

-- Will Brinson

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow  @cbssportsnfl   on Twitter   and subscribe to our  RSS Feed .

Posted on: July 30, 2010 10:39 am
Edited on: July 30, 2010 4:36 pm
 

Revis 'leaning heavily' towards holding out?

Darrelle Revis has about 48 hours before he's due to report for Jets' training camp.

However, reports continue to flow out of New York that Revis might not be there, if his contract situation isn't resolved by then. Mark Cannizzaro of the  New York Post reports that Revis is "leaning heavily" towards holdout unless the Jets give him more money this year (or a long-term deal).
According to more than one person close to him, Revis has not yet made a final decision about whether to hold out, but he's leaning heavily in that direction if the Jets continue to ignore his issue.

"I wouldn't do that," one confidant of Revis' told The Post yesterday, warning the Jets not to call his bluff.
Additionally, the confidant added "That's not going to happen" when asked if Revis would play this year under his current contract.

It's an interesting situation for sure, and one point made by a Revis "friend" is a rather salient: "Leon [Washington's] situation is very much on Darrelle's mind." That's to say that Revis remembers Washington shattering his leg -- before getting a big contract extension -- and seeing his value drop to that of a fifth-rounder.

It's a legitimate concern, too; Revis wouldn't be hurting for money if he suffered a career-ending injury tomorrow, but his talents are such that he should, based on the compensation given to professional football players, be paid enough to take care of his kids' kids. A million bucks (what Revis is slated to make in 2010) is a nice chunk of change, but it won't do that.

The logical solution seems to be something similar to Chris Johnson's "new deal" -- give Revis more money up front for 2010, get him into camp and then worry about the future later down the line once the NFL sorts out its looming labor dispute.


UPDATE: Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets have re-started contract talks with Revis. The two parties recently spoke for the first time in over a month.

UPDATE II: Jason La Canfora says a quick-fixing three-year, $30 million deal would be enough to satisfy Revis for now.


-- Will Brinson

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow  @cbssportsnfl   on Twitter   and subscribe to our  RSS Feed .
Posted on: July 29, 2010 11:12 pm
 

Joe McKnight fails Jets' physical

Good news, Jets fans. Since HBO apparently couldn't fit in any more drama out of Jets camp for "Hard Knocks," they've decided to have Joe McKnight provide some comic relief.

Either that, or he's horribly out of shape. Because, according to Rapid Reporter Lisa Zimmerman, McKnight failed his physical today.

It's the next step in a bit of a nightmare off/pre-season for McKnight, who spent most of rookie camp vomiting and cramping up . (Aside: Is it just me or is 100x more noticeable when a former USC player does something that's the opposite of "good" these days?)

The Jets can't be too pleased either. Shonn Greene is great, but the probably wouldn't have drafted McKnight if they were completely confident in LaDainian Tomlinson's ability to back him up.

Plus, having a fourth-round draft pick start out like this can't be entirely too pleasing to those that invested in him.

-- Will Brinson

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow  @cbssportsnfl   on Twitter   and subscribe to our  RSS Feed   .


Posted on: July 28, 2010 6:22 pm
 

Jets sign Mark Brunell

No surprise here. Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the New York Jets have signed veteran quarterback Mark Brunell. ESPN's Adam Schefter says it's a two-year deal.

Brunell turns 40 in September. It has been well-noted that the longtime Jaguar is struggling through tough financial times (earlier this summer, Brunell filed for bankruptcy after a failed real estate venture).

Football-wise, the most interesting aspect of this move is not that Mark Sanchez now has a cagey veteran to learn from, but that this suggests the Jets are giving up on Kellen Clemens. You'd figure the athletic fifth-year pro would at least be a long-term No. 2. However, Clemens -- once a projected starter -- will now have to compete for the backup job.

--Andy Benoit

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com