Play Fantasy Use your Fantasy skills to win Cash Prizes. Join or start a league today. Play Now
 
Tag:Santonio Holmes
Posted on: April 9, 2011 10:05 pm
Edited on: April 9, 2011 10:06 pm
 

Jets beware: Holmes adamant about long-term deal

Posted by Andy BenoitS. Holmes

When the lockout is lifted, the Jets will likely find a nice little controversy on their hands. Santonio Holmes, a free agent, is saying he’ll take a wait and see approach with the Jets.

“I’m a free agent this year. Whatever my agent brings to the table – the best deal for me – I’m pretty sure that’s where we’ll end up. I would love (to play for the Jets),” Holmes told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “But whatever happens, happens. I don’t know. I’ve never been in this situation before. I really don’t know how to explain it to anybody. Whatever happens… I’m happy to be wherever I end up at.”

In other words, Holmes wants a lucrative long-term contract.

Where things could get really complicated is if the lockout turns into a prolonged legal mess and the NFL decides to operate the 2011 season under the 2010 rules. In that case, Holmes would receive another RFA tender. What would he do with that tender?

“I probably wouldn’t sign it,” Holmes said. “Because I played five years to wait for my contract to come up in my sixth year. And that’s what I want. I don’t want to sign for a one-year deal. I don’t want to play anywhere for one year…. I wouldn’t do it… If I sign a contract, it’s going to be for multiple years. It won’t be for one year.”

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .


Category: NFL
Posted on: April 4, 2011 11:45 am
 

Hot Routes 4.4.11: Rams interested in Rice?



Posted by Josh Katzowitz

  • In this Pro Football Weekly report, sources tell the publication that the Rams could have some interest in Vikings WR Sidney Rice. Considering how lackluster the current crop of St. Louis receivers are, the move would make sense. But the Rams organization apparently also is leery of Rice’s hip injury that cost him much of last season.
  • The Boston Herald wonders how Tom Brady’s image will be affected by the upcoming Brady v NFL case. Apparently, he can expect a hit to his short-term marketability.
  • The creator of the Madden NFL video game is suing EA Sports for many, many millions of dollars. It could even reach into the b illions. And get this: Robin Antonick’s original game was released in 1988, and it was for Commodore 64, MS Dos and Apple II.
  • Further cementing the idea that Da’Quan Bowers could fall out of the top-10 is Peter King of Sports Illustrated reporting that only one head coach (Arizona’s Ken Whisenhunt) and two GMs (Atlanta’s Thomas Dimitroff and Buffalo’s Buddy Nix) were in attendance at his Pro Day last week.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .
Posted on: March 25, 2011 9:58 pm
 

Sanchez is throwing, thinks lockout helps Jets

Posted by Will Brinson

The lockout's not good for anyone from the perspective of wanting to see football, but it's certainly more advantageous for particular teams.

Like, say, the New York Jets, who, according to quarterback Mark Sanchez, might benefit from certain portions of the work stoppage. Our own Jets Rapid Reporter Lisa Zimmerman caught up with Sanchez at the 2011 World Police and Fire Games Gala in New York, and he sounded as optimistic as one can be about no football being played.

"It's going to be tougher for [free agents] to go somewhere else; they just won't have time to negotiate with other teams," Sanchez told Zimmerman.

Sanchez also said that he'd be getting his wide receivers together during the offseason -- meaning he's throwing now apparently? -- in order to get some informal practices going.

"If those are the only workouts until training camp, we might as well do as many as we can," he said.

Sanchez is probably "correct" on both counts. First, the lockout seems likely to cruise long enough that the Jets can bring back their key free agents without them testing the waters too much.

And, secondly, if the lockout does last long enough for Sanchez and his receivers to need some informal workout sessions, it seems pretty likely that guys who are free agents (Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards) could end up coming too. And if that's the case, they seem even more likely to end up with New York when football's played again in 2011.

Oh yes, and it would appear that Sanchez is throwing again, despite his shoulder injury, which may be the best news of all for the Jets.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: March 17, 2011 8:44 am
 

Gerald McCoy & Co. visit Africa

Posted by Andy BenoitG. McCoy

It’s not all gloomy news in the NFL these days. Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is heading to war torn African countries Uganda and Rwanda for a two-week mission with the nonprofit group Pros for Africa on Tuesday.

The organization is based in Oklahoma; McCoy is one of several Sooners (including Tommie Harris and Mark Clayton) who have been involved with it over the years. Joining McCoy on this African trip will be Santonio Holmes and Vernon Davis.

"I've always wanted to go to Africa anyway, and when I learned about what they were doing over there, I thought it was something great to get involved with," McCoy told Stephen Holder of TampaBay.com.

The players will spend part of their time in Uganda working in houses that provide shelter to hundreds of displaced women and girls abandoned by their villages because of pregnancies resulting from sexual assault.

"Having a little girl, I couldn't imagine her being kidnapped and raped," McCoy said. "I couldn't imagine losing her -- period.”

He added, "I think (volunteering will) open my eyes a lot to see there are other things outside of America. And I think it'll encourage me to encourage others to get involved and help others besides yourself."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed
Posted on: March 3, 2011 10:13 pm
 

Sims-Walker: 'My time is up' in Jacksonville

Posted by Will Brinson

Mike Sims-Walker exploded onto the scene for the Jaguars in 2009, catching 63 balls for 869 yards and seven touchdowns. He regressed in 2010 -- 43 catches, 562 yards, though he did snare seven touchdowns again) -- and it appears the team won't be bringing him back for 2011.

That's according to the proverbial horse's mouth, as Sims-Walker tweeted Thursday night that his "time is up" with the Jaguars.

"its official, I personally wanna thank all the fans who stuck with me in jacksonville for the last 4 years but sorry to say my time is up!!" Sims-Walker tweeted.

Sims-Walker joins a reasonably stout group of free agent wideouts, including the likes of Sidney Rice (not signing with Minnesota), Santonio Holmes (not retained by the Jets) and Santana Moss (not returning to Washington).

He'll still fetch a decent deal whenever free agency opens, because he's young and has been productive before, but getting dumped by a wideout-needy team like Jacksonville won't do a ton to boost his stock.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Posted on: March 1, 2011 4:59 pm
 

Hot Routes 3.1.11: Rich Eisen's 40 time

Posted by Will Brinson



Got a link for the Hot Routes? Hit us up on Twitter (@CBSSportsNFL).
  • The highlight of the NFL combine is usually Rich Eisen running the 40-yard-dash. This year was no different, and Eisen posted the best time of his "career." Check the video here.
Posted on: February 18, 2011 10:58 am
 

Cromartie wants to remain in New York

Posted by Josh Katzowitz

While it’s unclear at this point how much the Jets want to re-sign free agent CB Antonio Cromartie for next season – some reports have said they’re willing to watch him walk while others have said the Jets would like him to return – Cromartie made his feelings known Thursday.

On his Twitter account, via the New York Post, Cromartie penned the following: "U know I could care less about a rumor because as of now and until me and my business partners are told otherwise I'm a JET to the end. Gang Green baby. Plus it's just a rumor. Lol."

Well, sure, he’s still a Jet now. Whether he’ll be a Jet in a few months is an entirely different matter. Especially if New York’s top priorities really are to re-sign WRs Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Posted on: February 16, 2011 8:50 pm
 

Report: Jets willing to lose Cromartie

A. Cromartie could be out of a New York uniform next season (US Presswire). Posted by Josh Katzowitz

It’s been quite a month for Jets CB Antonio Cromartie. After an up and down season – in fairness, he was probably more ‘up’ than ‘down,’ but some of his ‘downs’ were really low, Cromartie called Patriots QB Tom Brady an a------ (hell, even Reggie Jackson suggested Cromartie pipe down after that comment).

Then, he blasted the NFL and the NFLPA about the labor dispute and the “no light at the end of the tunnel” progress they had made in negotiating a new CBA (hey, the man needs to get paid).

Then, Cromartie and Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck got into a mini-Twitter war in which Cromartie threatened to smash in Hasselbeck’s face.

So yeah, he’s been pretty classy.

And though it’s questionable whether any of the previous controversies will play a role in the Jets ultimate decision about Cromartie, the NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi, via Pro Football Talk, reported tonight that New York likely will let the upcoming free agent walk away.

That’s because, Lombardi says, the Jets are more interested in retaining the services of WRs Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards rather than pay Cromartie a boatload of money.

Cromartie should be fine, though. He’s probably not a top-five cornerback in the NFL, but he certainly could be a team’s No. 1 cover guy. He fulfilled that role with New York when Darrelle Revis was out with injury, and for the most part, Cromartie performed admirably.

UPDATED: The New York Daily News reports that no decision has been made regarding Cromartie and that he's still a priority for the Jets.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .
 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com